Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im running 265/75-16 general grabbers and tire shops are having a hard time balancing them. I've been to 3 different shops, and the machine says theyre balanced, but the freeway says differently. Question is, should I run balancing beads or just wait until I can get new tires?

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Are your tires round? That could cause a bounce when balanced

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
I run the same size tires, although they are treadwright guarddogs (recaps) which are pretty old. I run 8 oz of air soft pellets in each tire. Very little vibration. I don't have any weights on my wheels. Rocks not only tear them off, they can take chunks of rubber to, which will cause them to become unbalanced. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had them check for flat spots in my tires and they couldn't find any. Wheels are brand new. It does it even if I rotate my tires. I had them rebalanced yesterday, and no change. I may pick up some plastic bbs this weekend and give it a shot. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
If they feel fine around town and not on the highway then beads will help you out. I've used them quite a few times over the years and noticed they do have a flaw. They seem to start balancing around 40 mph. I could do any highway speed without a single vibe felt anywhere but they would wobble and shake making the ride not so fun when driving in town. I've had in swampers, street tires, radial mudders, etc and all had the same effect.

I had two new sets of the same tires (31x10.5 GoodYear Authorities) mounted on both jeeps last year. One set balanced with EZ beads (6 oz) and the other with traditional weights. The beaded tires did great on the highway but were a bit shaky around town. The road to my house was not fun to drive on. The traditional balanced tires did great everywhere.

Note: you have to be really anal about ride quality for this stuff to bother you (like me). :)

FYI: you have to remove tire partially from wheel to install airsoft. Dynabeads can be installed through valve stem (easier/cheaper). I'd aim for 6-8 oz of beads/airsoft and make sure you get filtered valve cores if using beads. I used EZ Tire Beads on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. I air down to 15 psi often to wheel, will they effect anything there?

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Ok thanks. I air down to 15 psi often to wheel, will they effect anything there?
Nope. They will just hang out in there.

If possible avoid using any type of lubrication when mounting the tire cuz they will stick to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have to consider that it may not be the tires, it may be your vehicle. If the computer at the tire store is saying they are balanced then they are probably balanced. That tire size is not terribly big.

I'd start checking the linkages for wear.

I just went back to sticky weights from balancing beads in my 33"x12.50 General Grabber AT2. I found the balancing beads required me to drive too smoothly to let them settle...for example, I couldn't mash the throttle to get up to highway speed, I would have to accelerate slowly.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found one tire to be faulty. It balances on the machine, but when I rotated my tires, the vibration went away when that tire was on the back

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got new tires. Problem went away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts