Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a 2000 xj 4.0
to day i splashed through a small puddle and my battery guage droped and i lost power stering so im thinking watter got in the altenator :dunno: ive gone through way higher watter than this one and have not had a problem so i need some advice does it sound like the altenator or maybe somthing else?

also i do have that rubber mat thing from the factory but its pretty mangled and zip tied in place

thanks in advance for the help :cheers:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wouldnt be fried if it started wirking again right?
the gauge was at like 9 volts after i hit the water then about 2 min later it jumped back to the middle 14 i think

·
Registered
70 Posts
That means 1 of two things your alternator is going or you got some water in it. Also were you accelerating through the mud or coasting?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just think it was the belt, esp. since you said you lost P/S too, and it dropped to 9, then right back up to 14 again...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I just think it was the belt, esp. since you said you lost P/S too, and it dropped to 9, then right back up to 14 again...
Yeah, power steering isn't electrical. If voltage dropped and power steering went away sound like the belt may have been slipping. Could be as simple as tighten the belt. Many people under tighten their belts. I know I did based on the way I was taught to check the tightness of the belt.

You may still have an alternator problem but I'd check the belt first.

They do sell a tool to allow you to check how tight the belt is...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I had to replace my alt, after some splashing in the water,, then I did a splash guard to protect the new one...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I had to replace my alt, after some splashing in the water,, then I did a splash guard to protect the new one...
Homemade, or 3rd party? I've never seen one, got a link?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts