Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I have a 1995 jeep xj 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission. Love this jeep, she's served me well for 270k miles.
I recently had all bushings replaced with urethane bushings while going through my suspension, heavy duty everything, shocks, springs, etc.
I also had the engine mounts replace with urethane mounts, however I bought the wrong transmission urethane mounts so to expedite getting my jeep back , I chose a rubber transmission mount.
I recently noticed the cross-member which connects from the transmission mount has dropped down from where it bolts to the driver side of the frame. The nut inside the frame has broken free, so I am unable to tighten it.
Any ideas how to beef up the cross member and the transmission mount.
Thanks Folks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
The only way I know to beef up the cross member is to replace it with 2X4" rectangular tubing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. Any photos?
I do see some after market products are available.
She's been an extremely durable vehicle over the years, hope to keep her that way.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
I don't have any that would be relevant to you. My cross member is part of my home grown three link front, so it doesn't attach like yours would. Generally I think the OEM cross member is strong enough, unless you start dropping the XJ off buildings

Reactions: Farkle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any that would be relevant to you. My cross member is part of my home grown three link front, so it doesn't attach like yours would. Generally I think the OEM cross member is strong enough, unless you start dropping the XJ off buildings
I guess after 270k mile, I really can't complain.
Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting development.
After the installation of the new cross member and support member, I've noticed a noise coming from the rear of the xj only while shifting through 3 rd gear. Other than that it seems to be working fine. Any ideas what it could be happening?
Thanks,
Farkle

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Could be a number of things, but the first thing I think to look for is the exhaust hitting something

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thing happened today. Went to put my xj into 4 wheel low and a horrible clunking noise came from my right front wheel area.I had a heck of a time getting it out of 4 wheel drive. Seems to be the worst in 4 low range.
Now this noise is not unfamiliar to me as is the noise that tip me off to my broken transfer case cross member.
The cross member was replaced and I thought my xj was good to go,my bad.
Any idea where I should start looking or what it might be?
All ideas are appreciated.
Tnanks

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
First thing to check is axle U joint. A tip on getting out of 4WD. Accelerate a little and let off the gas while shifting out. Takes the strain off the drive train

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
What t-case do you have? What type of ground were you on? you should never try to shift into 4wd unless on slippery or loose ground. Pavement or cement will not permit the system to relieve the necessary torque to get the gears in the t-case to mesh or unmesh. And if I am not mistaken, The diff gears cause a 51/49 torque split front to rear. Which is ok on soft ground, but will bind everything up on hard ground. This is explicitly conveyed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good question on what type transfer case I have.
I was on asphalt at the time. Put it in 4wd low just before going to dirt. My bad. Will check it out on soft dirt this am.
When the transfer case cross member broke, which I was unaware of, that's when I first notice the clucking noise while in the dirt.
Possibly now that the cross member has been repaired , more of the torque is being transfer hence binding on hard surface.
No noise in 2wd. Wheel bearing has no wiggle.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried the 4wd on dirt this morning. Only clunk I heard was going into reverse. Felt a hummpy rotation when turning. Overall much better than on pavement.
What do you think caused the hummpy rotation feeling?
271000 miles never changed any of universal joints. Possible?
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
That pulling of the wheel in 4x4 is the front axle and tires fighting each other while turning. Its normal 4wd behavior seen in everything 4wd.

At that high of miles, I would expect to need to change every joint on the vehicle if it hasn't been done before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Turned out my tranfer case chain was skipping a tooth due to wear and tear. Looking a another TC to rebuild so I can keep driving my fishmoble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts