Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be buying another Cherokee this spring sometime when i get some cash saved up and Im wanting to run 35's. Im planning on either getting a 6 1/2 and running 2 inch spacers and blocks to help clear the 35's if I got with the 6 1/2 along with some trimming. I want a lift that rides smoot and has plenty of flex so what is the best 6 1/2 or 8 inch lift that is under $1000? Also what gears you recomend for 35's When I buy one it will have a 4.0 and be an automatic.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I would run 6.5" of lift. It's plenty tall to clear those tires. 8" is a little too tall for Xjs.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure. I just want everything like I said above about the flex and no rubbing issues

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well you are going to have to trim your fenders for sure, but that is going to be regardless of suspension height. I would just do a 6.5" from rubicon express or something, they have good stuff. Just make sure to get bumpstops so the tires don't hit your fenderwells when you are flexin.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Because this post is in the Grand section, are we talking about a ZJ/WJ, or is this question directed at Cherokees in general?

8" of lift is going to make the vehicle a little on the top heavy side, regardless of what model we;re discussing. You're also looking at a custom setup for that height, and I don't think the spacers are really necessary. What is the intended use of the vehicle?

P.S. You're gonna need to spend more then $1000 for a lift of that nature on a Grand unless you are experienced at 4x4 fab and have access to shop equipment and tooling...

A decent lift of that size will run you around $2000-$3000 if you want a kit...

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be a smart azz in any way but I did post in in the Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee section.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, something must be messed up with my computer. I have been clicking on the regular cherokee section but got here instead. Sorry about that guys. And really I wasnt trying to be a di(k in any way. I can from another forum where if you said soething like that than you are instantly deemed an A hole, thats why I was being serious when i said I wasnt trying to be an A hole. Can someone move this for me. thanks I gotta get that figured out.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
No problems! I'll move the thread.

·
Registered
378 Posts
im going to be buying another Cherokee this spring sometime when i get some cash saved up and Im wanting to run 35's. Im planning on either getting a 6 1/2 and running 2 inch spacers and blocks to help clear the 35's if I got with the 6 1/2 along with some trimming. I want a lift that rides smoot and has plenty of flex so what is the best 6 1/2 or 8 inch lift that is under $1000? Also what gears you recomend for 35's When I buy one it will have a 4.0 and be an automatic.
6.5-8" for under $1000? Doesn't exist unless you halfassed something together or bought all used parts. A GOOD 4.5" kit will run you over $1000, and that's not taking into account the SYE and driveshaft you'll likely need to go with the lift.

6.5-8" is way more than you need for just 35s anyway unless you're building a mud truck, or a show truck.

This is less than 6" of lift, with 36" IROKs (about the same size as most 37s).

35s are going to require fender trimming, whether you're running 4.5" of lift or 8" of lift. The lower you stay, the less expensive it will be. If you're serious about having a well-setup rig, plan on about $1300 for the lift, plus another couple hundred for the SYE & driveshaft. That'll get you a good kit that's tall enough and should flex pretty well and still ride decent on the road. To get the best ride however, you'd have to spend more money and go long-arm.

For gears, I'd recommend 4.88s with the 4.0L/AW4 combo.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help from all of you. And sorry for the confusion about which part of the forum it was in. Im somewhat new to jeep forums, Im a fourwheeler (ATV) guy myself. Been into it VERY deep for about 10 years so I know all of the lingo. So what is a SYE. Also What axles yins recomend in the rear or front if needed with 35's. Im gonna be dion alot of rought trails and some mud. 44 or 9 inch for the rear? and what if need changed for the front. ANY other info will be much appreciated! Thanks again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks for all the help from all of you. And sorry for the confusion about which part of the forum it was in. Im somewhat new to jeep forums, Im a fourwheeler (ATV) guy myself. Been into it VERY deep for about 10 years so I know all of the lingo. So what is a SYE. Also What axles yins recomend in the rear or front if needed with 35's. Im gonna be dion alot of rought trails and some mud. 44 or 9 inch for the rear? and what if need changed for the front. ANY other info will be much appreciated! Thanks again.
SYE Slip Yoke Eliminator

run an exploder 8.8 or xj D44 in the rear the front D30 should be fine if you beef up the axle shafts and don't lock it up or you can expect to break it at some point. If you're goiong that tall I highly recommend that you do a long arm lift or get a control arm drop kit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the Rough Country 6 1/2 " lift. I am really suprised at how smooth it does ride. I also run 35" tires. i havent trimed the fenders. They dont rub anything while normal driving. They will rub once in a while during articulation. This kit is $895 right now. I was thinking it was $1500. Here is the link.

Jeep XJ Suspension Lift

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I agree with some of the others here. 8" lift is a little high, but it depends on what you are going to do. If you just want a mall crawler, something to drive on even surfaces and perhaps the mud then 8" or higher may be okay.

If you want a go anywhere vehicle the lower the better.

Things to consider on the 6.5" or higher.
1) Dropped pitman arm
2) Adjustable track bar
3) Lower Control Arm drops (or long arms)
4) SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator)

Things to consider for 35" tires.
1) Steering brace or Steering upgrade
2) Tie rod (and perhaps tie rod end) up sizing
3) Dana 30? May need chrome molly axles especially if you are running a locker.
4) Stronger axle u-joints
5) Disc brake conversion on the C8.25 rear

If you have a Dana 35 rear, I wouldn't even consider running 35's. Of course 10 people will tell you they know 20 people that have done it and had no problems. I've never had a Dana 35, and I've never broken one. I'm just going by what I have read, so just a warning here.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and some of these may be good ideas but not necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone! I was thinking about getting a rusty's 6 1/2" lift for my cherokee (Cost around $1100). Has anyone had any experience with rusty's at all? I'd like to go 6 1/2 with 33's, and the price on this didn't seem too bad and I'm looking for as much bang for the buck as I can get... It's going to be everyday driver and not see alot of offroad time so I'm not too worried about flex.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thats what I have on mine. I posted a link earlier for Rustys. It must be on sale right now. They have it for $890. My lift had a few things added with it. I havent had any trouble with mine and it rides great.

Earlier post.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Rough Country 6 1/2 " lift. I am really suprised at how smooth it does ride. I also run 35" tires. i havent trimed the fenders. They dont rub anything while normal driving. They will rub once in a while during articulation. This kit is $895 right now. I was thinking it was $1500. Here is the link.

Jeep XJ Suspension Lift

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to got with a 6.5 or less. Depending on what I need to run 35-36 inch tires. It would either be 35 inch SS LTB's or SS Iroks in 36 since they dont come in 35s. So what lift do you suggest that is under 1200? Also gonna swap out the rear axle as when I buy my nest jeep it will be a 1990 or better so, no D44 could come stock. I was think a Ford 9 inch with disc brakes. What all will I have to do when lifting 6.5 inches and with a 9 inch? such as getting the correct lenghts of everything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I decided to got with a 6.5 or less. Depending on what I need to run 35-36 inch tires. It would either be 35 inch SS LTB's or SS Iroks in 36 since they dont come in 35s. So what lift do you suggest that is under 1200? Also gonna swap out the rear axle as when I buy my nest jeep it will be a 1990 or better so, no D44 could come stock. I was think a Ford 9 inch with disc brakes. What all will I have to do when lifting 6.5 inches and with a 9 inch? such as getting the correct lenghts of everything.
There's not a 6.5" lift under $1200 that I'd recommend. The only kits you'll find in that price range are going to be regular short-arm kits with no drop brackets. If you don't care about ride quality or proper suspension geometry then go right ahead with a kit like that. The cheapest "tall" kit that I'd recommend is the RE6200 5.5" kit and it's $1500. That still won't get you the SYE or driveshaft you'll need though.

As far as the correct length of everything... You'll be able to get the proper front shocks along with the lift kit. For the rear you'll probably have to wait until you get the new rear axle swapped in, then measure for the rear shocks. Same with measuring for the new rear driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what lift would you recomend that comes with everything I NEED to clear 36 inchers. After looking at your signature I seen that you have about everything i was planning on doing. No locker up front and a 9 inch in the rear probably.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
So what lift would you recomend that comes with everything I NEED to clear 36 inchers. After looking at your signature I seen that you have about everything i was planning on doing. No locker up front and a 9 inch in the rear probably.
Heres what I would do.
  • RE 5.5" coils
  • RE 4.5" leafs
  • RE/TnT 1" boomerang shackles
  • Bilsteins in all 4 corners (these are "nice" shocks, insert whatever shock you want here.)
  • Sye
  • XJ front driveshaft for rear
  • TnT Longarm with bellypan skid & unibody stiffiners
  • 1-ton OTN steering (doesnt have to be OTN, you can run something similar to currie)
  • Tires
  • Wheels with appropriate BS
All that and im probably missing stuff. Also be warned that the above list probably touches the 3k range, maybe more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts