Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure mostly everyone here will favor their Cherokees, but I'll ask anyhow, Whats the absolute best Jeep Model and why?

Any year, any trim.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is no best. You need a 'well rounded' fleet of about 4 or 5 jeeps.

XJ for the SUV. Load it with gear, wheel, and camp...

Browed J-truck with a 401 (or diesel swap) for the tow/plow rig and for loading full of junk (dump runs, firewood, etc).

SWB MJ or a CJ-10 or the gladiator (that they didn't build) for the 'around the town' pickup that you can comfortably wheel on day trips. But unlike the j-truck you can find easy parking downtown.

At least, that's my take. I don't care about specifics or trim or anything, I'll be changing all that junk anyways. I guess you could add a TJ/TJ/CJ to the list if you live in a sunny area and want to take the top off.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have owned a 90' XJ, 89' YJ, 95' ZJ, and my current 99' XJ, in that order. I started with an XJ and will end with an XJ. Not that I "dislike" all the others, it's just that the XJ fits me for what I need and want. As far as the year and trim goes, I think the 99' XJ Classic. Just because it's the "classic" and not that "limited" stuff.... and a 99 because it was the newest before going to the LP D30 and distributor-less ignition (not that it makes it worse, just harder to work on)

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Jeep Rubicon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly stick to the XJ because their easy to find (lots of junkyard finds), very easy to turn into an off-road monster, and they come with a 4.0 inline-6. I dont mind their looks, even if they are a bit dated, they look especially good with some 30's.

I was shocked to find out the wrangler is only a 4-cylinder. Not buying one.

I love the looks of the Grand and the big V8 engine in some of them, but I wouldn't go wheeling with it, I just haven't seen anyone really do that with a Grand. And its not excactly fast, even with a V8, making it sort of a waste of gas.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
I honestly stick to the XJ because their easy to find (lots of junkyard finds), very easy to turn into an off-road monster, and they come with a 4.0 inline-6. I dont mind their looks, even if they are a bit dated, they look especially good with some 30's.

I love the looks of the Grand and the big V8 engine in some of them, but I wouldn't go wheeling with it, I just haven't seen anyone really do that with a Grand. And its not excactly fast, even with a V8, making it sort of a waste of gas.
For the record, YJs came in a 2.5L 4-cylinder or a 4.2L inline 6 until 1991, when the 4.2 was replaced with the 4.0 HO. TJs came with either the 2.5 or 4.0, and JKs come with a 3.8L V6. So NO, Wranglers are not only 4 cylinders, just as Cherokees are not only 6 cylinders (I have a 4-cylinder :D).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the record, YJs came in a 2.5L 4-cylinder or a 4.2L inline 6 until 1991, when the 4.2 was replaced with the 4.0 HO. TJs came with either the 2.5 or 4.0, and JKs come with a 3.8L V6. So NO, Wranglers are not only 4 cylinders, just as Cherokees are not only 6 cylinders (I have a 4-cylinder :D).
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
410 Posts
... And its not excactly fast, even with a V8, making it sort of a waste of gas.
Clearly you were never introduced to te mighty 5.9L ZJ (Grand Cherokee), made only in 1998, or the newer SRT8 WK Grand. The former was the fastest Jeep ever made (and world's fastest SUV at the time) until the SRT 8. And believe me, stock they would put many ricers and other cars to shame. A waste of a V8 would be a Ford Expedition ... :rofl:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think it really comes down to what you need. I need a station wagon that can wheel, and that has a solid front axle, so I am all about the XJ / ZJ. You never know when the groceries and soccer balls need to get to the top of the mountain :rock:

·
Registered
19 Posts

maybe you should go test drive a regular 5.7 Hemi GC and tell me again its slow...

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Im sure mostly everyone here will favor their Cherokees, but I'll ask anyhow, Whats the absolute best Jeep Model and why?

Any year, any trim.
Mine, because I own it. :bow:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

You need to go to http://www.mallcrawlin.com/? and tell them you can't wheel a Grand :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hands down the XJ... It roomy, holds 4, has a lot if inside cargo area, run forever, etc., etc.

The MJ for a great utility pick up for around town hops and JY runs.

Any in the Wrangler family just cuz they're grandfathered in due to being a descendant of the original (the new ones don't count, they're not even close to being a Jeep anymore)

The CJ8 just cuz that thing is just way awesome.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Hands down the XJ... It roomy, holds 4, has a lot if inside cargo area, run forever, etc., etc.

The MJ for a great utility pick up for around town hops and JY runs.

Any in the Wrangler family just cuz they're grandfathered in due to being a descendant of the original (the new ones don't count, they're not even close to being a Jeep anymore)

The CJ8 just cuz that thing is just way awesome.
Sorry man but i disagree with you about the new JK's. "Don't judge a book by it's cover" You should hop in one and take it for a spin. I test drove one (i'm a 4-year wrangler owner) and was very impressed. it felt like a jeep but with more comfort options, like the grand. They kick as$ off road just like all the wranglers do. It may have been modernized (looks) but it still has the basics that real jeeps have: solid axles, low range, and insane articulation. ;)

When i first drove the cherokee after trading my TJ for it, i didn't think of it as a hardcore jeep. It had all these power buttons, windows, rear wiper, defrost, lockout, etc and a very cushy interior. After driving it for a while and working on it, it started growing on me and now i treat it like my old TJ.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like my XJ for certain reasons. its a capable SUV that can do it all comfortably the same goes for the ZJ but on a more refined platform and the WJ even more so. I dont think you could get a better out of the box off road jeep than a TJ RUBI. the JK and JKu rubis are nice but the slightly larger size of the JK and larger stil of the unlimited do give them issues on the trails. if I was looking for an XJ replacement the JKu would probably be the best thing offered by jeep so far. the ZJ and WJ are nice but putting bigger tires on is even harder than the XJ.

it all depends on what your lookin for the jeep to do to say "THIS ONE IS BEST" but in my eyes the best OVERALL all in one package jeep would probably be either the XJ or the JKu rubi

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
This model is not bad! (Not sure her name though)

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts