Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the lucky new owner of a '96 Cherokee Sport.

I have good reason to believe that everything is working as it should, but want to keep some choice spare parts around for easy access. Things like an alternator and distributor. I've been around the block with break downs and like to keep updated.

So what parts have you had break on you? What seems to fail the most often? What should I be looking to replace every 20,000 miles?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Alternators and distributors don't fail everyday but they can be needed quickly and can be pricey so keeping a working spare is a good idea.

I just added a flasher relay to my spare parts pile because I had it fail for a second time on me.
When I go to the trails I take a spare of each front axle shaft with a hub already on it.
I carry at least 1 driveshaft ujoint on me and have more in the garage.
Possibly an axle shaft ujoint as well.
Fuses are a big obvious one. Carry a variety pack of different sizes. I also keep electrical tools for quick fixes
Many suggest a CPS. I don't but maybe I should. These fail often, esp aftermarket ones so always buy Mopar.
I kept my original coil pack rail (distributor) when I replaced it since I found it was still good.
I have some lightbulbs, and little things like keeper clips for ujoints.
I keep a pack of grease zerks handy. I've broken a couple now.
Sparkplugs. Easy to keep spares and cheap.
A spare serpentine belt is good to carry or at least have at home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so sounds like the usual offenders for spares. I plan on daily driving the car more than Offroading, so i probably don't need extra UJoints on hand until one fails on me.

Thanks. Do you happen to know what the Jeep's favorite sizes are? (I.E. Nissans run 10,12,13,14,16 mm on just about every bolt). Jeeps run Standard American, right?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
The XJ is a total hodge-podge mix. I carry everything, but 21, 19, 16, 15, 14, 13, and 10 will cover metric while std should be 1/2, 3/4, plus anything else you add. Mine is dang near 50/50 at this point.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
All good advice. I also keep a tire plug kit. It sucks to ruin a good day of wheeling because of a flat tire. I know we carry spares, but are you gonna keep wheeling knowing you don't have a spare?
Plug in relays
I replaced my tie rod with a beefy one. But I take the factory one as a spare.
Electrical and duct tape. And lots of zip ties. I take a roll of mechanics wire, zip tires won't replace a broken exhaust hanger!
A fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
...A spare serpentine belt is good to carry or at least have at home.
In addition, I always carry spare Idler Pulleys, and at least an upper radiator hose.(recently wish I had a lower as well) The belt, and idlers will keep you stranded for certain. The radiator hose is more of a 'want' than need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts