Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions......

My Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex lift get fitted on Tuesday. Due to availability issues of the Bighorns I have purchased some 32 x 11.5 Pirelli Scorpion Muds. Hope they will fit okay - Does anyone have this size tyre with a similiar lift that may be able fill me in on what to expect?

I know I will have some issues with them sticking out from under the guards so I'll have to sort that out. Any tyre exposed and the cops will put my car off the road in a heartbeat. I have also been told I will have to trim the inside of the guard at the back of the wheel.

Second question is how do I correct the speedo?

Thanks all

Aussie Rob

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Depending on how much backspacing your rims have, you may rub against your lower control arms with the 32's. You will have to trim your front fenders to minimize rubbing during articulation while wheeling.

As for having them stick out, you can always go with larger flares to cover them up. Again, this also depends on how much backspacing you have on your wheels.

As for making your speedo read correctly - you'll have to change the speedo gear. I'm not sure how many teeth you'll need on it for your application.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I want my speedo to be off hahaha.. then i have one more excuse when i get pulled over..

"do you know how fast you were goin sir?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!"

LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup 31 tooth speedo gear, the installation take about 10 minutes.
I didn't think is would that easy. Is this a jeep part or aftermarket - cause I can see it is going to be tuff to get over here. Am I correct in thinking this will fix my speedo reading.

Can someone please give me a link where I can buy one in the US and have it sent to me.

Thanks mate

Rob

·
Registered
444 Posts
Im pretty sure the piece you need is color coded too... i know my factory gear is green and the one i needed to make it correct was some other color like orange or somethin like that.. thats what my neighbor told me anyways and he worked for jeep turnin wrenches for quite a few years so i believed him.. now im tellin you.. lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
"do you know how fast you were goin sir?"

"absolutely not!!!!"
hahaha!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I didn't think is would that easy. Is this a jeep part or aftermarket - cause I can see it is going to be tuff to get over here. Am I correct in thinking this will fix my speedo reading.

Can someone please give me a link where I can buy one in the US and have it sent to me.

Thanks mate

Rob
Rob

You can get the gears at a Jeep dealer. The last one I got was $12 U.S. To replace it, just remove the little bolt at the base of the speedo cable and pull the whole thing out. The gear slides off, replace it with the new one. The one you have is a 35 tooth gear. If you are in doubt which one to get you can figure it out mathematically.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Rob

You can get the gears at a Jeep dealer. The last one I got was $12 U.S. To replace it, just remove the little bolt at the base of the speedo cable and pull the whole thing out. The gear slides off, replace it with the new one. The one you have is a 35 tooth gear. If you are in doubt which one to get you can figure it out mathematically.
Ya I got mine from the dealer aswell, not terribly expensive IIRC but it took a long time to get it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here's a link to the speedo gear conversion chart on Go-Jeep's site. If your Cherokee has the orange long shaft 35 tooth gear, I can tell you now that the 31 tooth gear you need will be very difficult to find (ask me how I know!). I made calls to dealerships in 3 different states and still couldn't find one. I finally got one off a Dodge on ebay.

Edit: There's also a good write-up with pics on how to change the gear, below the chart. It's a little tricky lining up the notches, but not bad. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I got pulled over. He asked me two questions.

1. Where's the weapon?
2. Do you know how fast you were going?

I told him I just got the tires and wheels and hadn't not corrected the speedo yet. I gave him my best guess. He let me go with a warning. I could tell he liked the Jeep. ;)

After putting in the new speedo gear I am 1 mile per hour slower than what GPS reports. That's pretty damned close.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you cannot find them at the dealer, Jason has them, although they are more expensive.

JeepinOutfitters

Also, use the chart that StationWagon posted. The 31 tooth gear that was suggested is assuming your axle gear ratio is 3.55.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you cannot find them at the dealer, Jason has them, although they are more expensive.

JeepinOutfitters

Also, use the chart that StationWagon posted. The 31 tooth gear that was suggested is assuming your axle gear ratio is 3.55.
Holy crap! 70 bucks for a gear that should cost no more than 20 bux!?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I got mine just last year ... think I'll stick with ebay now that I'm looking for a new gear.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I bought 2 from a Chrysler dealer. They were around $32.

First one was for 32" tires and 3:55 gears.
Second one was for 32" tires and 4:56 gears.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts