Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to upgrade my 93 XJ to the 1995-96 Brake Booster and Master Cylinder combo. But I noticed than 95 and up has the proportioning valve rotated 90 degrees and higher up than mine. And the master cylinder has output lines on driver side instead of passenger side.

1) Do I need to also upgrade to 95 and newer prop value (though it looks identical to my current one)?

2) is there a way to rotate my prop valve & reuse master to prop valve oEM hard lines? Or is it simpler to fabricate nee cylinder to Prop valve lines & leave prop valve in current position?

I should also mention that I recently did rear brake upgrade to Liberty disc brakes, though it likely isn’t factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
You need to keep yoiur prop valve until you change to rear disc brakes, then change it to match the new discs. You don't really need to change the master cylinder. Just don't mess with it and change out the booster

·
Super Moderator
11,054 Posts
He already did the rear disc conversion. I took the spring out of a ZJ prop valve and put into mine, instead of swapping the prop valve. It improved my braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Liberty brakes were installed over Labor Day weekend, and are amazing even without prop valve changes.
I did try to open the bleeder valve, but it wouldn’t budge & I didn’t want to risk busting a brake line from the strain.
I have a replacement prop valve and will put the ZJ spring in it then do swap along with booster.

Every booster swap I’ve seen changed to the newer master cylinder. Has anyone put the double diaphragm together with the older master cylinder?

It sounds like making master to prop valve lines is best way to go. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
I haven't done it, but a friend of mine has.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I did mine with my stock proportion valve, I ran the hard lines from it to the new master cylinder. I found hard lines that where the correct fit for the proportion valve and had to flare the other end to fir the new master cylinder. First time making my flares. I would practice on the old lines if you have never done it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts