Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Jeep decided to let me know it still wasn't happy from Miami this weekend (ASK EL NINO for details lolololololololol), so today driving home from work the brakes decided to fail. Luckily I was only 1/3 mile from home with no stops, so we made it safe and pulled right in the garage.

The master was realll low on fluid, and the inside of the R/F tire was soaked. Pulled the tire and removed the caliper to find this.

Its leaking from behind this brass plate where the brake line inserts via the attachment/bleeder bolt. Just out of the corner.

Here are my questions - Do parts stores carry JUST that plate & screw, or just that segment of the brake line? 2 Is there some sort of seal behind that bolt that failed? Cheap and easy is the idea, at least untill my next big paycheck comes in a few weeks. Feedback is appreciated as always!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
just get a new cailper they arent that expence

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah right, a loaded reman starts at like $40. As far as I'm concered, I am willing to spend endless amounts of money on my truck. I'd buy brembo if they were available. Problem is - I'm on my bi-week. No paycheck, and my last fridays' check went to rent and utilites. I litterly have $19 to get me through the next 2 weeks. lol. Thats why I mean CHEAP!l lol. But thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Junkyard maybe

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes the parts store should have the copper seal and banjo bolt. Some have o-rings on them... but I can't remember is the XJ calipers have one or not.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Pull the banjo bolt, and remove that hose leading to the caliper. Theres a compression washer behind it thats causing the leak. Take that washer to your local autoparts store for a replacement.

Install the new washer and bleed your brake system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Busted - considering good brakes can mean life or death, I wouldn't risk a junkyard caliper or a ghetto rebuild. Either buy a reman'd unit from Advance or NAPA or use that $19 to take the bus for the next week until you get paid.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Busted - considering good brakes can mean life or death, I wouldn't risk a junkyard caliper or a ghetto rebuild. Either buy a reman'd unit from Advance or NAPA or use that $19 to take the bus for the next week until you get paid.
I really liek that advice quite a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, but this is "Beutiful Florida", busses are ugly, so they don't like running near where I live/work lolol.

Its all good, I fired up the WJ. I'll use that for a few days I guess.

·
Registered
608 Posts
New brass Banjo washer. I believe the XJ's take two, you sandwich the caliper hose between them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts