Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I recently bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Larado have been tinkering on it. But the issue I have run into is my brakes. So far, I have replaced the front calipers and pads and have put new shoes on the rear. I also put in a new master cylinder.
But every time I press on the brakes, the pedal goes all the way to the floor. If I pump it a few times, it builds up pressure, and I can stop. I have bled the lines 5 times now and have not been getting any air out of them. My cruise control and vent controls don't work either (it only blows air through the defrost vent), so I think it might be a vacuum issue. I am currently pulling 10 inches of vacuum, and I think I should be in the 12-14 range. I also wonder if it might have something to do with the brake booster, but I don't really know.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Do you have antilock brakes?

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
So then you probably still have air in the master cylinder. To start, take your calipers off, take the brake pads out and use the master cylinder to pump the piston out. If you don't have a cheap tool for pushing it back in, I suggest you get one. Turn the cylinder upside down so the brake hose is at the top. Push the cylinder back in all the way. This should purge out any air. Repeat on the other side. The rear brake cylinders are tougher, but if you gain pedal you will know that is the issue. The rear cylinder will be harder, but start here. You have to bench bleed the master before you install it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So then you probably still have air in the master cylinder. To start, take your calipers off, take the brake pads out and use the master cylinder to pump the piston out. If you don't have a cheap tool for pushing it back in, I suggest you get one. Turn the cylinder upside down so the brake hose is at the top. Push the cylinder back in all the way. This should purge out any air. Repeat on the other side. The rear brake cylinders are tougher, but if you gain pedal you will know that is the issue. The rear cylinder will be harder, but start here. You have to bench bleed the master before you install it
Ok, I will try that.
and I did bench bleed the master.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts