Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow XJ people!

So I have a 1991 XJ and I have a bit of a brake problem. I don't know if it's because of the ABS system or what, but every time i step on the brake pedal it feels stiff and i have to put a ton of pressure on it just for it to stop. My friend told me to make sure I don't have air in the brake line but I haven't checked yet but I was just wanting to see what you guys think and what you think I should do.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So I have a 1991 XJ and I have a bit of a brake problem. I don't know if it's because of the ABS system or what, but every time i step on the brake pedal it feels stiff and i have to put a ton of pressure on it just for it to stop. My friend told me to make sure I don't have air in the brake line but I haven't checked yet but I was just wanting to see what you guys think and what you think I should do.
I bought a 1991 XJ that had the ABS brake system several years ago with no brakes. I called the local Jeep dealer and was told that 1991 was the first year for ABS and that they had enough problems with it that Jeep gave a lifetime warranty on several of the parts. Just bring it in and let us check it out and if it is a defective part that is covered with the lifetime warranty, it will be fixed for free. I inquired about the length of time to get parts for it and was told that IF the defective part was covered under warranty and they could locate the part, it could take several months to find a dealer that still had anything for sale. I thanked them for their time and removed the complete ABS system and replaced it with parts from a newer XJ without ABS.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Pre-1995 Xj's have a single diaphragm brake booster. While new it probably worked OK, but a 30 year old brake-booster probably isn't providing pressure to the system very well. It's pretty straightforward to swap you brake booster for a later model dual diaphragm brake booster and master cylinder. I used a 1996 brake booster and it was a direct swap into 91" xj

1 - 4 of 4 Posts