Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sport, I6, Auto

I have recently replaced the rotors, calipers, and pads and just this afternoon when I went to pull the jeep out, the drivers side caliper is not releasing the pressure off of the rotor. Would this be caused by the master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
9,261 Posts
The most likely thing is that the caliper is not operating freely. Take your wheel off and remove the caliper and clean all surfaces and if yours is like mine, there are two rods that it slides on covered by rubber boots. Lube the rods. While you have it apart, check to see if the piston is moving freely.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
pistons fine but I totally spaced the 2 rods that the caliper connects through. Any other ideas if that doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it was the rods that it glides on, apparently I totally overlooked those when I put the new calipers on. I remembered to lube everything else but those.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, It is still locking up the drivers side. Everything is lubed that is supposed to be, the calipers pistons are doing what they are supposed to be, so what else should I check? Is there a way to check the master cylinder to see if it is operating properly?:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,261 Posts
If the master cylinder was not operating properly, the other side would lock up too. Does it only happen when you back up? Does it loosen up if you change directions? Examine it closely when it does lock up. Take the wheel off while it is still locked and check the alignment of the parts. Is something cocked to one direction?

I think this is mechanical and only on the affected side.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if I wasn't so lazy, I would have pulled my other tire off and realized that it was starting to lock up too. Not as bad as the drivers side, but enough to where it toasted the brake pads. So as long as there is nothing else that I have missed, I assume that the master cylinder is bad.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Did you clean up the caliper mount so it can slide freely? Same goes with the mounting ears on the caliper...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts