Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a while since my last posting, at the moment I am running with 30" tires and have noticed that if I need to stop from 65 mph I need at least the length of a runway.
I loose my brakes if I stop and go at high speeds very quickly.
What can I do about this issue? Can I do anything about this?

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Sounds like your brakes are fading from heat. You have probably cooked the pads/shoes. They need to be replaced. However there are different materials out there. I generally use ceramic pads. They will not fade when hot, however they do go through rotors. It is a trade off

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your brakes are fading from heat. You have probably cooked the pads/shoes. They need to be replaced. However there are different materials out there. I generally use ceramic pads. They will not fade when hot, however they do go through rotors. It is a trade off
This happens even when I just replace the shoes and I replaced the rotor to once with the slots to help heat dissipation.
Is it possible the back brakes are not engaging with the front brakes or not enough?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
If the pedal feels good, then yeah, its your contact points: pads, rotors, drums, shoes. Take them apart and make sure everything is doing what its supposed to in terms of movement, and check wear on everything.

You posted right before me: If you just redid the brakes, then make sure the rears are adjusted correctly. Find the point where its not dragging when the brakes are off, but it should be almost making contact for when you do hit the pedal.

Also. did you wipe everything down with brake cleaner before installation? Rotors come with a thin coating of oil on them that obviously doesn't help braking and probably damages pads if you don't wipe them down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So it's been a while since my last posting, at the moment I am running with 30" tires and have noticed that if I need to stop from 65 mph I need at least the length of a runway.
I loose my brakes if I stop and go at high speeds very quickly.
What can I do about this issue? Can I do anything about this?
You can try switching to carbon ceramic pads with rotors. The heat is dissipated and I am confident even at high speeds. Here is a good article to read to help you with the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts