Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 98 Xj with 31” tire on 15” rims, every time I hit the brakes on the highway it takes some time before I stop and all I smell afterwards is brakes. And by the time I’ve stopped my brakes are all but useless for the next 10-15 minutes.
im running my stock brakes but am told I should upgrade. What other brakes should I put in and exactly what should be changed?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
It sounds to me like you have glazed the front pads from getting them too hot. Good quality pads are a must. I use ceramic pads. Hard on rotors, but they will never fade or glaze

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
I agree sounds like they are glazed. Normal brake shoes should be bedded in to get proper performance and wear.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I run 31s on stock brakes with no issues. I don't believe upgrading is necessary until you run larger tires.

However, your brakes are certainly bad. Upgrade to better pads and possibly a rotor depending on how it looks. I usually run the best pads NAPA has to offer, but EBC and Oreillys have done well on my other vehicles.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I have always had good luck performance wise with drilled and slotted rotors and appropriate pads. Wondering if something like a collapsed rubber line maybe not allowing full retraction of the caliper allowing your pads to get excessively hot and glazing . Also check to make sure the surface your pads ride on the bracket isn't wore to bad .....

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Than you everyone, it does this even with new brake pads. I switched to some rotors with the holes and slots to help dissipate the heat but I still have the same problem.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
So new rotors and new pads and it still does it....

Ok then, how about the condition of the calipers? Are the pads correctly sliding and also staying in their respective places? Did you spray the oil off the rotors when they were replaced?

Im just asking simple obvious things at this point. WJLizard might be onto something with bad fluid or a busted line.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obvious is usually the stupid that one forgets😀. Yes everything is lubed up cleaned and sliding correctly.
I have even replaced the calipers,I’m at the point where I’m thinking of replacing the master and booster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts