Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Bs-75

2920 Views 25 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  muddeprived
So here is the log for my first acquisition – BS 75, AKA Battlestar Galactica.
She is being brought out retirement and needs a lot of work; but even so, she holds a special spot for me.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Update

So I'm overdue for an update so I figured I would split it up since there has been a bit done. When I first picked up the ol' Battlestar, I took the front wheels off to inspect and then just put them back on because of what I saw.

I quickly realized that this would turn into purchase #1 of many. Everything was sooooo rusted. :realmad: Oh, and the radiator was leaking like a sieve.

Doesn't look too bad...

Until you look closer.

And the other side

And the shackles

And off to troll Craigslist for a new fuel rail

So Here was my first list of parts:
  • Steering Knuckle x 2
  • Calipers
  • Disk Brakes
  • Tie Rod Ends
  • Trackbar
  • Radiator
  • Ball Joints
  • Shackles
See less See more
Ok, next update. I started taking it all apart and lo and behold, something else is rust welded...the wheel hubs. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the hub bolts out by attaching a 12 point 13mm wrench and beating it with a hammer, one 1/8 turn at a time. The wrench is a bit beat up but at least the bolts are out.

After buying a bigger hammer, a chisel, and a propane torch, I was able to separate the hubs from the knuckle. Since I had already decided that I was going to order new hubs, didn't feel too bad about possibly ruining the wheel hubs. New hubs on order and everything is out! :D

Check out these axel shafts! U-Joints are in surprisingly good condition
See less See more
Veddy Nice!!

:thewave:
Radiator replaced!

Since I'm on a budget and ordered a cheap replacement from RockAuto, I had to grind the bolts on the top of the radiator because they were a touch too long and I couldn't get the top plate tightened down. Working now though.

I had already pulled off the tie rods etc. but didn't get the trackbar off yet. Unfortunately I snapped the head off! :brickwall:
I already went through a couple of recip blades, tried drilling it out but can only get about half way. I'll probably have to beg (and pay) my local independent shop to put a cutting torch to it and get it off. :( Anybody in the DC/MD/VA area with a torch?? :D
See less See more
Radiator replaced!

Since I'm on a budget and ordered a cheap replacement from RockAuto, I had to grind the bolts on the top of the radiator because they were a touch too long and I couldn't get the top plate tightened down. Working now though.

I had already pulled off the tie rods etc. but didn't get the trackbar off yet. Unfortunately I snapped the head off! :brickwall:
I already went through a couple of recip blades, tried drilling it out but can only get about half way. I'll probably have to beg (and pay) my local independent shop to put a cutting torch to it and get it off. :( Anybody in the DC/MD/VA area with a torch?? :D
You could put some cutting wheels on a grinder and cut the bolt on the other side of the trackbar bushing and then use a dremel to unlarge the hole (bottom of axle bracket) that the nut goes in so that piece has room to fall out. It also makes it easier to use a regular bolt (grade-8) and nut since a regular wrench will fit in the enlarged hole. I've done this to two of my jeeps since I've ran a bigger than stock bolt with a regular nut and needed to get a wrench in there to hold it.
^Yep I concur!

See, All is not lost. cut off wheel, and your set.

BTW, I used 12" 24 TPI (teeth per inch) blades when I did my rear leaf spring bolts. I could use about 4-6" of the blade before having to change.
^Many, many thanks guys!

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the ol' home crackpot for some new blades and an angle grinder. I was wondering which were the correct blades, much appreciated. :D
When I read your title, I thought bs-75 stood for bull **** 75. As in its bull **** that cherokees can go 75. Lol
^XX that's a good one! :animlol:
New Parts!

So parts came in and I decided to put it back together! New Disks, calipers and pads, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, wheel hubs, and knuckles. Time to start putting it back together

First up, upper and lower ball joints. These were a pain in the a** to get out and I hope I don't have to do it again.

Time for the knuckles and wheel hubs.

See less See more
Here is my problem. After installing the new calipers, I've bled the system twice using an air bleeder and the correct order (RRH, RLH, FRH, FLH) but I can't get it to work. The pedal keeps bottoming out!

Am I missing something?
Master cylinder could be bad but I would try gravity bleeding it if you have another person to work the pedel. Sometimes those air bleeders aren't that effective.
X2. I've used those bleeders but I prefer gravity bleeding them.
Where'd you get those knuckles? I need knew ones too.
Where'd you get those knuckles? I need knew ones too.
They are Crown automotive parts. I got them from Morris 4x4. They had the best price and free shipping.

Left part # 52067577
Right part # 52067576
Kudos to you brother. I appreciate it when I see this kind of work. Nice!!
I have brakes!!!

So I got back from work and tried bleeding the brakes again...no success...still no brake pressure! I've gone through an entire bottle, no, not a little one, a BIG bottle of fluid and still no brakes. ahhhhhh!!! :realmad:

Well, at least I fully flushed my lines...

So when all else fails, check the manufacturer website. I went to Centric and perused through their tech papers. Turns out, they have one for "Low brake pedal". Ok, this sounds promising. I read through the entire paper and so far nothing: bla, bla, bla...Check; bla, bla, bla...check; bla, bla, bla...check. Hmmmm, now what?

Then, literally the last sentence, and tossed in as an "oh, by the way..." here is what it says: "Also, confirm that the bleeder valves on the calipers are towards the top of the caliper. Air cannot be bled from the bottom of the caliper. If the bleeders are towards the bottom, then the calipers have been installed on the wrong sides of the vehicle."

EUREKA!!!!! Sure enough, I installed the calipers backwards. The bleeder valves were on the bottom. :brickwall:

So, I switched the calipers and BAM! 30 seconds of bleeding later I was done! :thumbsup:

Success! :D
See less See more
Sweet. Sometimes its something that simple
Getting back together

So I finally figured out the brakes so I decided to put it all back together. Here are some updated pictures. Still need to figure out the busted trackbar bolt. Oh, BTW, yes those are pre '96 bumpers I found on craigslist. The old ones were trashed and I like these better. :D Had to remove the rear end caps though because it didn't fit with the liftgate.

See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.