Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
hate to dig up an old thread here, but I was just curious if these mods would also work on a zj?? and if now, if someone could point me in the direction of a list like this for it. I'm not having the best luck lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
hate to dig up an old thread here, but I was just curious if these mods would also work on a zj?? and if now, if someone could point me in the direction of a list like this for it. I'm not having the best luck lol
Some will, some won't.
Depends on the year, if you have or want to know specifics just ask.
Sure someone here would be glad to help or put you on right track.

·
Registered
92 Posts
XJSuperman said:
Just picked up some JK take-off shocks from a Sport edition. They should be the black shorter ones. I don't really care how well they work at this point, they were free and I need shocks BAD. Lol. They all will bolt in, but the longer ones are better, and the red ones are the best. JK shocks come in 3 types: RED- longer shocks, come on Rubicon editions, monotube design, stiffer ride BLACK- come in shorter and longer lengths (2), come on all the other editions (sahara is longer, sport is shorter...), twintube design, a little smoother supposedly...
jk rubicon and Sahara shocks are same lengths. But different valving.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Kinda what I said in the quoted text...lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear leaf springs

I used the rear leaf spring from my old 86 1/2 ton dodge spring packs. I added 3 springs to the stock spring packs on the Jeep. Local truck shop for some new u-bolts. Rides great now, plus its about a net gain of 3". Used a mid 90'S dodge Dakota rear brake line.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I kinda understand the article. Very good information. I do have a question. Will the transfer case from an automatic transmission fit an ax15 transmission?

Reason I ask is most of the transfer cases I see for sale come from Cherokees with automatic transmissions.

However I see allot of ax15 with transfer cases from Jeep wranglers. But sure if they will fit into a Cherokee

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Yes it will fit, but the auto and manual trans are 2 different lengths. So you'll need new drive shafts.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Wranglers are also clocked differently. It'll still though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If all goes well. I plan on buying another Jeep Cherokee auto 4x4. The lady said it was running.
I plan on getting parts off of it. So for fun. If will Pull the t case and check it out.

As for drive shafts. Rock auto sells them. Maybe theirs will work

·
Registered
429 Posts
i no this has been asked a million times but i cannot find where i read this before. sorry to ask again but is a ax15 from a wrangler the same as an ax15 from a cherokee?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think I found an answer. I may be wrong but from the way I understand a wrangler ax15 and a Cherokee ax15 are a little different. I think it had to do with the way the tcase bolts to the transmission. One clocks the tcase a little different. Something like ten degrees.
Other than that it should work.
I have been looking on forums on how to correct this however I haven’t found allot

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
The way to correct it is with a clocking ring available at Advance Adapters. With one of those, you can position it anyway you want

·
Registered
63 Posts
6.TJ Lift Coils (front only) = provide 1" less lift on an XJ than on a TJ

This is wrong. TJ front coils lift an XJ the same amount.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. I put my 3" XJ coils on my sons TJ and got 5" of lift, even with a V8 installed. I think current wisdom is that you get +2" with XJ coils.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. I put my 3" XJ coils on my sons TJ and got 5" of lift, even with a V8 installed. I think current wisdom is that you get +2" with XJ coils.
I guess it depends on the spring rates. I had two new sets of 4" lift front coils from my TJs. I was told on another forum that they would only lift my XJ 2". I swapped a set onto my XJ and got exactly 4" of lift.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I know that it works for many coils. It is what Clayton says for his springs, particularly for rear coils

61 - 77 of 77 Posts