Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is right after I bought it.1997 XJ 2-D004 5-Speed. First Jeep build, figured it would be a learn as I go project. Got a great deal on it because it has the 4.0 lifter tap and it scared the dealer. Brand new General Grabber 33' tires, somewhere between 3" and 4" of lift (I haven't took the time to really calculate exact lift yet) Chrysler 8.25 rear, welded rock sliders and frame protection. 231 T-Case, with skid. Skidrow lower control arm mount skids. JCR front bumper with Quadratec winch.
(Also, thanks to responses on posts helping me ID all my suspension upgrades! Part of the project is just finding out what previous owner has already done.)
My two goals with this Jeep is to turn it into a camping/overlanding type of rig and to learn as much as I can to prepare me for other Jeep projects in the future.

My first project is cleaning out the back area. The carpet has been removed and the floor has been bedlined, but its showing wear and rust under the seats. My plan is to clean out the back, and paint everything with anti-rust paint.

I took the back seats out and removed the plastic trim off both walls. Pease comment and help me decide on leaving the backseat out or not? I don't haul around a lot of people, so a drawer system build would increase storage space, but at the same time only being able to carry one passenger seems inconvenient.

The previous owner had evidently at some point had wired in a beast of a sound system. But when I got the car it only had remains of it left, mostly just a mess of wiring.

· Registered
XJ 4WD 2-door AX15
2 Posts
I also have a '97 2-Door 4WD with AX-15 trans in Emerald Green. It came from Kentucky but the underside rust is not too bad...I'll have to replace the rocker panels. I'm considering replacing them with steel oversize ones like yours. Good luck on your build!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.