Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided it was time to put a roof rack on my rig. I have started doing some over landing style trips as often as I can. I wanted it to be low profile enough that my Yakima kayak rails could still be used over the top of it. Here is a few pictures of how it was built. Materials was using light gauge 1x1 steel, 2x1 steel and JCR roof rail mounts.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted rounded corners so I built a jig that I could use to make the corners. I made this adjustable so that is I desired to build other racks of different sizes. It is pretty simple and the pictures should make sense.

Table Bumper Gas Engineering Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Machine Metal Auto part
Wood Audio equipment Hardwood Gas Wood stain
Tool Saw Drilling Milling Machine tool
Wood Tire Floor Flooring Automotive design

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So that I could mount the rack on any Xj you never now? I made three of the mounts solidly welded to the frame and three adjustable.

I used the Yakima roof racks and a spacer for allowances so I could position the rack and tack weld the brackets in place. I am pretty happy with the results.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood
Car Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Very nice looking rack

·
Super Moderator
11,244 Posts
Veddy nice!
My roof has like black runners down every rib. Yours doesn't. Must be because yours did not come stock with a rack. I want to take mine off and replace it with 3 pipes across the top using the Jcr gutter mounts, but my gutters are loose. I may just tack them down. Did you have any issues with the gutters?

2001 Cheep Jerokee XJ 2WD Automatic 4-Door
70 Posts
Awesome! If you don’t mind sharing, what would you say your total cost was to build it? Yours looks good and beefy and all the others you find through online venders, seem cheap and flimsy looking. Especially those that run the length of the roof. I carry two Kayaks (sometimes more) on the roof of mine and I understand the struggle of trying to find a full length rack that works with j-hooks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Veddy nice!
My roof has like black runners down every rib. Yours doesn't. Must be because yours did not come stock with a rack. I want to take mine off and replace it with 3 pipes across the top using the Jcr gutter mounts, but my gutters are loose. I may just tack them down. Did you have any issues with the gutters?
My gutter rails are solid. Hopefully will stay that way.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome! If you don’t mind sharing, what would you say your total cost was to build it? Yours looks good and beefy and all the others you find through online venders, seem cheap and flimsy looking. Especially those that run the length of the roof. I carry two Kayaks (sometimes more) on the roof of mine and I understand the struggle of trying to find a full length rack that works with j-hooks.
$70 for the gutter mounts, about $75 in steel. Welding supplies probably $50 paint $20 additional hardware $20 and . So rounding up approximately $250

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the corners. I’m still no totally understanding how you made those corner pieces with the jig. Did you do any bending ?
Really no bending other then taking the outside of the square tubing and after cutting it you bend it to fit the jig. And tha small part of the inside is shaped over the round corner of wood cut out to make the pattern. The corners are made by welding pieces back together while it's in the jig. Once things are tacked up you have to remove it from the jig and carefully stitch weld the corner pieces back together. I had to keep thing clamped in place and weld a little at a time to prevent warping it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I was more thorough in the steps I took to achieve this rack. Write ups are not my strong suit. But I made the jig to form two identical end pieces.. Then took the stock of tubing and cut two filler pieces the length to get the length of the rack I wanted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts