Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys im looking to build a rear and front bumper and i am very new to this whole fabricating thing this will be the first thing i have ever made but welding isnt a problem.

i just dont have any experiance with dimensions and where to bolt them on for best strength and durablitiy if someone wants to help me out that would be awsome! i wanted the rear to have a hitch reciever and 2 shackle points the front i wanted 2 shackle points and a winch spot!

if someone would like to help me out and help me teach myself this that would be awsome!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Please dont become a liability, thats all I can say...:thumbsup:

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well I can help you out with the rear bumper. I built this one just yesterday.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
i wanted a front bumper like this!

still trying to find a rear bumper
WOOHOO!! Someone likes it! :rofl:

That's a JCR Offroad bumper, "Stage 4"

If you're going to be using these bumpers for recovery, definately tie them into the "frame" somehow. The front is easy becuase you can run the brackets down the framerails (you can reference JCR's website for how they do it). The rear bumper also needs to be tied into the framerails and not just the rear crossmember if you want to use it for recovery and towing.

Definately do your research though, look into cost of materials and time spent on project vs. buying one from a manufacturer. There's something to be said about fabbing your own, but if time is tight and you're not comfortable with your knowledge of fabbing such things then purchasing may not be a bad idea. Like Detours' said, don't become a liability, recovery is NOT something to play games with. Good Luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing. Make sure it is attached to the frame. As for demintions, measure the width of your xj and that is how wide your top has to be. Then decide what angle you want and how tall so on and so forth. Make a template out of card board if you cant picture it. I am going to make my own rear bumper. As for the front I couldnt beat the price of a bumper from Nates 4x4 that was suggested be another memeber to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts