Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under my Jeep yesterday so I could see how it looked underneath. I noticed that my bumpstops are laying on the bottom spring mount. They are just sitting there, not doing anything. Is this a normal problem? I tried to put them back in the tube they came from, but that was a no-go. I couldn't get them to squeeze out between the coils of the spring. Anybody know how to fix this? :confused:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I've gotten them in with the springs on, so it is do-able. Spray them with PB Blaster to lube them up a bit, and hit the inside of the retainer with some PB as well. Then using a set of channel locks get a good grip on the bumpstop and try to shove them in there using the coil to create a lever. They should pop right in.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I've gotten them in with the springs on, so it is do-able. Spray them with PB Blaster to lube them up a bit, and hit the inside of the retainer with some PB as well. Then using a set of channel locks get a good grip on the bumpstop and try to shove them in there using the coil to create a lever. They should pop right in.
Yup that is exactly what I would do, shouldnt be much of a problem as they can be put in while the coils are seated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this is not an unusual problem? I will try the pb blaster with a clamp to get them back into their holes.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I would say that it doesn't happen often, but it can. My guess is that over time the rubber of the bumpstop deteriorates, and it gets loose in the retainer allowing it to "shake" out from typical driving vibrations/potholes/etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess mine is just special :eek:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts