Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 87 Cherokee and this summer Im gonna buy another one. What years should I be looking for and what common problems also. Also Im going to be doing alot of technical trail riding with rocks, logs, hills, mud the whole 9 yards. Id like to run possibly 35's would I be able to do this with a 6 or 6.5 lift? What is the best lift in that range to get a good smooth ride and plenty of flex. I may also put coil spacers and blocks if I need moe height but dont want to get it TO top heavy. So I need to know what year, what lift, what size tires, axles, gears, all of that so with you knowing what size tires and what size lift and all that I need ALOT of info on this. Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'd go with 5.5-6.5" of lift, proper bumpstopping, some trimming, and 35's. Although I'd normally agree with Kyle, I'm going to have to disagree. Finding and '87-'89 with a Dana 44 may be pretty hard. If you do end up finding one, the condition of the body (read: RUST) may be prevalent, and will leave you doing more repairs than you'd want to be doing.

Since it seems like this is going to be a trail rig, I'd find the newest and best-condition XJ that you can get your hands on. You're probably going to end up swapping the axles out anyway, so it may be worth your while to find an XJ in good physical condition, with a solid engine and trans that has been well-maintained instead of spending your time finding something that is hard enough to find in a junkyard.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
i would agree with both.

if you can get your hands on a decent 87-89 with a D44, go with that otherwise find the newest one in great shape but for a reasonable price so you can spend money on other things like armor and lift. as far as a lift 5.5-6.5 should be good. obviously i would go long arm. Rubicon express or tntcustoms. tires i would go 33" or 35" depending on trim. then get lots of armor, diff covers, rock sliders, gas tank, ect. or fab it if you are able.

what kind of wheeling are you going to be doing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Knowing where you're located would be a huge help.

My pick's would be:

A 1996 XJ
Clayton Long Arm/rear coil conversion if $$ allow. (6")
"Mud/Rock/Logs" tell me Super Swamper Q~78's (35.5")
Axles you'll need to swap in, purchase used....look at local forums.
Some sort of cage & stiffening system to the uni-body which works with Clayton's hardware in order to provide longevity to the investment.
Decent bumpers front & rear, winch up front.
Automatic
All other do-dads less the sway bars but a good first aid kit within arms reach.

Enjoy!:rock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts