Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be difficult for you to give up the forum life?

I was just thinking about this recently. Browsing forums has become part of my daily routine. I'm browsing while I drink coffee and eat my breakfast. I'm also browsing when I get home after a hard day of work. It's an excuse to sit down. I also browse ALOT on my days off.

I don't think there's been a full day in years where I have not browsed one of the forums.

Since spring is coming I'm thinking about taking a long break from the forums so I can use that time doing things that need to be done. It might also save me money when it cuts down on my temptation to order cool *** jeep parts that I see people post and rave about.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
What you just described is me always checking in to see what's going on ,on ct. I'm on other forums also but not anywhere near as frequent . To answer your question, yes . I can put down my phone and never go back. When they break I could careless if I get another one,but always do. I go through withdrawal for a day or 2 but quickly get used to not having one. It's more my wife that makes me keep one as I also have a work phone (dumb phone w/gps to keep track of us) and I get real tired of carrying two phones. I have met great people through forums and that is one thing I would definitely miss

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What you just described is me always checking in to see what's going on ,on ct. I'm on other forums also but not anywhere near as frequent . To answer your question, yes . I can put down my phone and never go back. When they break I could careless if I get another one,but always do. I go through withdrawal for a day or 2 but quickly get used to not having one. It's more my wife that makes me keep one as I also have a work phone (dumb phone w/gps to keep track of us) and I get real tired of carrying two phones. I have met great people through forums and that is one thing I would definitely miss
I did that 7 years ago.......and been phone-less since.

I do my browsing on the PC with a 24" monitor. Much easier on my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I would struggle more without CT than a Cellphone. I have started the process of leaving facebook. It is a great tool for keeping in touch, but also for wasting mindless hours and even days of total UN-productivity. DFJM! Summer is coming and I don't want attached to a screen when I should be productive.

I have a strong desire to help, and when I see people on CT struggle and in need of assistance, I can't ignore it.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
No pc in my house....yes I said it, I don't own a working computer. We have a huge paper weight on a small computer desk that hasn't been turn on in years..... I'm very computer illiterate which has pretty much caused me to abandon our local offroad form,due to the fact I can't figure out how to post pics. Something about typing [ i m g ] or something like that. It's a great site just not user friendly to me.i do venture into other sites for survival and preparedness also first aide and firearms but that's just to kill time between posts on ct

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Not difficult for me at all, I actually make a point of doing it so I don't completely lose my **** and break every electronic device in my house. Every couple of months I make sure to take at least a couple of days away from technology. It gets to be too much sometimes.

I come to CT a few times throughout the day to see what's going on and see if I can lend a hand, but I'm not really a regular poster for many reasons(nothing to do with CT).

I really do appreciate some of the guys dedication to this site though, and would certainly be lost without their input. I hope they never go away (you know who you are ;))

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
No.

There, I said it.
I can't walk away from forums for forever unless the apocalypse hits and no one is on anymore. Its part of my younger generation, its our thing, social media and forums. Its my link to fellow enthusiasts, friends, and my learning tool. Not only do we get the temptation for parts and cool things, but its a solid part of my daily life like Mudd said. A longer term problem with this is that it takes away from creativity in some ways. Something you would not only have to design on your own, but actually come up with the idea first is now something you get on, take a look at another build, say "thats neat, send me the dimensions", and off you go.

Im on CT, SteelSoldiers, IA4x4, JOCCI, and Expedition Portal. But most of my time is spent here, and a bit on EP, with checking in on the others from time to time when an event is coming up, or I am bored out of my mind.

I have become trapped in the social tools we have all come to use daily. My biggest fear about this is that I won't be able to enjoy a good old camping trip when the time comes for one. I don't want to be that hipster idiot in the new Chevy commercials on his iPad by the bonfire in the mountains.

Im not as confident as some of you about not having a cellphone either. Could I survive without it? YES. Would I find it extremely handy? yes. But college forced me into a smartphone (email access, class registration, contact with friends, browsing notes in homework emergencies, etc) and I don't know that I could just drop it one day and walk away. Im at a distance from family, and there are no landlines in rental houses these days. Could I go back to a flip phone now? Maybe now that Im done with college. But whenever a solid job finds me, I might need it then, who knows.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No, I need at least this forum to feed my addiction. I don't have many other addictions, and this place helps keep me insane.

Besides, nobody likes a quitter.
:animlol:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
In the (likely or unlikely you decide )event of an EMP none of us will have that luxury to choose. To me the end of electronics would be one of the happiest days of my life,not having to compete with someone's smartphone for their undivided attention. Or not having to swerve (1 cause most cars won't work) to miss some jackass walking out in the middle of the street with their head down and not paying attention to the bright orange sign with the 2 ft hand that means don't walk not mosey on over and gimme a big high five. The younger generation would perish quickly. I'm not a hoarding prepper but more just learning the lost art of thriving without modern luxuries how our grandparents and great grandparents did back in the depression Era. So I use this technology to gain insight that God forbid if it were to happen I can still provide for my wife and kids just incase. Think about it what would life be like with no electricity, no gas,no water,no sewage ,no garbage pick-up and no working autos............scary isn't it

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
.....Think about it what would life be like with no electricity, no gas,no water,no sewage ,no garbage pick-up and no working autos............scary isn't it
To be forced to not rely on modern technology, forced to be self sufficient, to be surviving by your own hands and knowledge would be rather thrilling to me.

But we are just talking about giving up the forum life....for a while. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Sorry, just another scatter - brained rant...lol

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I yearn for the day that someone could possibly take out every bloody server on this Earth of ours. I would actually look forward to having to pick up the landline and call some folks for help with my Jeep. But then again, how would I get their number without access to a forum like this? Double edged sword I guess, but one I'd be willing to play with. :D

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I yearn for the day that someone could possibly take out every bloody server on this Earth of ours. I would actually look forward to having to pick up the landline and call some folks for help with my Jeep. But then again, how would I get their number without access to a forum like this? Double edged sword I guess, but one I'd be willing to play with. :D
They used to print these huge books called a phone book,sometimes referred to as the white pages or the yellow pages that had people's phone numbers in them for your area.....not sure but would assume the same for Canada.....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
They used to print these huge books called a phone book,sometimes referred to as the white pages or the yellow pages that had people's phone numbers in them for your area.....not sure but would assume the same for Canada.....
We don't get them anymore, too cost inhibitive to produce now I guess. I don't think our phone books would have had listings for PA either :p

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
We use those things for target practice.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Since I threw this thread way out in left field (sorry Mudd ). Yes I could give up forum life ,just not the friends I've made on them.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
You guys are my only friends so no. I can't give up my friends

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I threw this thread way out in left field (sorry Mudd ). Yes I could give up forum life ,just not the friends I've made on them.
Not a problem. I love derailed threads. It happens to 99% of the threads on the pgh forum. :D

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Addictions are why I refuse to do Facebook or any of the others. Just too time consuming. I don't even text others. I insist on talking on the phone. They are phones after all

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Wah wah wah. Has nuttin to do with givin up the forum, just admit it, you guys couldn't live without me! :D. But if the zombie apocalypse hits tonight I will make it my life's mission to seek you all out and begin the rebuilding process together. #respect.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts