Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so i was told that if u hallow out ur cat it add a bit of hp and make it louder so before i do i want to know if its something i should or should not do...all i have for a muffler is a cherry bomb...let me no what u think thanks

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Guess you know I thought this thread was about a different subject.

Since I'm here, I will say it is illeagal everywhere in the USA to do that on a vehicle which is operated on any roadway.
Honestly that is good to know, learn something new every day. Thanks blue:cheers:

·
Registered
672 Posts
you will lose VERY valuable back-pressure if you just hollow it out or delete it. I put in a magnaflow universal 2 1/2'' I.D. HI-flow cat, you can see right through the honey combs inside but it offers just enough back pressure if you running a hi-flow exhaust so you dont lose you low end torque. And a plus is you rig will pass emissions still, even here in mass. (it sounds awesome too BTW!!):rock:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yep there are federal laws that require all vehicles shipped from the factory to remain equipped with a fully functional cat anytime it is tagged as a street vehicle. Now there are some states that do not require inspections but that does not mean you aren't required to follow the law.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Especially bad on backpressure with that muffler or lack of really. Do more harm then good. I say dont do it

Cole

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yep there are federal laws that require all vehicles shipped from the factory to remain equipped with a fully functional cat anytime it is tagged as a street vehicle. Now there are some states that do not require inspections but that does not mean you aren't required to follow the law.
all vechicles from I think 76 and up are suppose to run cats.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
x2 on getting a high flow cat. Not only from the standpoint of reducing emissions, but it also keeps your rig legal. IMO deleting the CAT makes it sound worse, especially since you are also only running a cherry bomb exhaust. A guy at a local 4 wheeling club ran the exact same setup and it sounded like garbage. It sounds like if you open your mouth as wide as you can and then scream the "A" sound at the top of your lungs. Well, you get the idea... lol

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Guess you know I thought this thread was about a different subject.

Since I'm here, I will say it is illeagal everywhere in the USA to do that on a vehicle which is operated on any roadway.
Yeah it's a federal thing isn't it?

Besides it will make your downstream O2 sensor go nuts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cool yeah it was just something that i heard and wasnt sure...so now i no i will leave it on there and it is a high flow cat already but was just checkin...thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts