Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are in search of a vehicle to flat tow behind our motorhome. The Jeep Cherokee is one that will work but we have heard bad things about purchasing one with over 100,000 miles. The one we are considering has 96,000 miles but is priced high (great shape) and we don’t mind paying extra for the condition but don’t want this type of vehicle if they do start going bad at 100,000 miles. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Depends on what year cherokee you're buying as far as miles. If you're looking to buy the xj, from 1984-2001 which is what our knowledge on this forum revolves around, with less then 100k on the clock, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As far as the new ones go, when they came back in to production ~2014, I haven't the slightest clue as far as reliability.

Though I can say that any vehicle starts to develop issues around that time, mainly ones produced in the later 2000's. Parts aren't manufactured to last anymore the way they used to be, so don't let rumors of reliability scare you away from what seems like a decent deal. The fact of the matter is that any vehicle with more miles on it will need parts replaced after so much wear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As stated above, the early 84 - 01 XJs are the ones to get. The engines and transmissions typically last to 300K. However many of the problems people are experiencing and you have heard about are preventable.

For some reason, people don't regularly replace some of the sensors. The most typical problem is stalling or missing after the 100K mark. The crank position and cam position sensors do wear out and should be a 100K tune up part. Also, the O2 sensors can wear out and cause them to run rich or lean, cause poor milage etc. Typically all three of these parts are generally not replaced regularly until they fail. Again, these are maintenance items. Kind of like changing the oil in the crankcase and transmission.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 1990 Cherokee has 163,000 miles on it and it's been very dependable. Fuel economy is not the greatest at 14.4 city and 19.5 highway. But for a cheap(ish) 4WD vehicle it a good buy. I had a 1989 Cherokee Limited and sold it in 2004 or so. I bought this 90 Limited as a covid project. I paid 3500 for it with 152000 miles. New tires, shocks, suspension parts etc has me at just under 5500.
I do some light offroading with it and it's been a fun vehicle.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts