Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Cherokee randomly dies

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  ittray 
#1 ·
Ok so I was on my way to school this morning and jeep just randomly dies. I was only down the street from my house sitting at a red light and it just dies:brickwall:. It doesn't sputter or anything, it just dies like I turned it off. I put it in park and tried to start it, but I got nothing. There wasn't any noise like it was trying to start or anything either. I put it in nuetral, tried to start it and it still wouldn't start. Then I just started cycling it through all the gears and put it back in park and finally started. It has done this once before and both times it happened on cold mornings while it was still warming up.

I know my idle positioning sensor is on it's way out, but idk if that is the problem. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
Well if it wouldn't start and you cycled it through the gears and it started, then I'd say your netural position switch is dirty.

For it to just die it wouldn't be the netural position switch. You may have two problems. Like you said the IAC, or TPS. From what I've read the CPS could have a problem.

#14 ·
I think it's funny how everything on my jeep started to go bad at once. Last weekend I cleaned out my NSS, and now this weekend I am replacing the CPS and TPS. Got to love jeeps :p

#16 ·
It's funny how something as simple as a TPS turns into such a huge project. First the bolt strips, so I take off the throttle body and cut off the bolt. In the process a vacuum line was so corroded that it fell apart.

I run to home depot, get a new bolt, then to autozone and get some rubber tubing, and then come home, get it all back together and then broke the other end of the vacuum line.

Then I run down to autozone again, get the right size tubing and now she is done. Now time to start on the CPS :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Just got done with the CPS and took my jeep out for a test drive. It shifts so much better! It shifts at lower RPMs which is really nice because before it would get stuck in a gear and I would have to let off the throttle to let it shift. I have a feeling too that I will be better gas mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.