Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 xj auto and was thininkg abt getting a locker.. any help pros cons will be great bc i know nothing abt lockers

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well you must know something about lockers since you are thinking about buying one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
joker runs the lockrite i think it is.. in his Chrysler 8.25 and it does the job.. lockrite is the locker that is locked when your on the gas and open when your off the gas.. so you save your tires somewhat.. really depends on how much your willing to spend.. lockers range from $400 to $900

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
i have a 99 xj auto and was thininkg abt getting a locker.. any help pros cons will be great bc i know nothing abt lockers
What's your current setup? What axles do you have?

Are you looking to put one in the front axle or rear?

What's your budget?

·
Registered
600 Posts
how do i find out if i have a d 30 or a d44 i have a 99xj 4.5 auto
Well first of all the engine is only a 4 liter, unless you have a stroker.
As for axles, the front axle is a HPd30. The rear axle could either be a d35 or chrysler 8.25. There are pics in this thread to help you identify which one you have do i have a dana 44? - Jeep Cherokee Forum

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
If you have a '99 XJ then you definately do not have a Dana 44 rear - those were not used in XJ's after '89. If you have ABS brakes, then you definately do have the Dana 35. If you don't have ABS, you have the opportunity of having either axle.

If I may suggest, wait off on the lockers a while and do some research on what and how you want to modify your XJ and leave the lockers for later down the road. Picking lockers is, as it's been mentioned, an expensive decision that requires knowing what your overall plan is. I'm not trying to push you away from lockers, just want you to make an informed decision.

We're here to guide you, so don't be shy in asking questions!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been happy with my ARB lockers. They have been on the vehicle for over 5 years, 4 of which have been in Alaska. I have only had problems with them when I have messed with the connections.

Make sure you do your lockers and gears at the same time and anticipate what gears you want to end up with after you put on the 38s. Try not to do a little modification at a time, just bite the bullet or save until you can.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I have been happy with my ARB lockers. They have been on the vehicle for over 5 years, 4 of which have been in Alaska. I have only had problems with them when I have messed with the connections.

Make sure you do your lockers and gears at the same time and anticipate what gears you want to end up with after you put on the 38s. Try not to do a little modification at a time, just bite the bullet or save until you can.
Are your ARB's fairly easy to maintain?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
ARB's are fairly low maintenance from my experience with them IF they are installed correctly. Most problems with ARB's are due to installation error. If they are well-installed then they should require no maintenance. Their compressors tend to fail on occassion and so they're probably the most common thing that needs to be replaced, but they're usually in a place that are is easily accessible, and don't take much time to swap out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are your ARB's fairly easy to maintain?
The ARBs in both our Jeeps have required no maintenance. There's really nothing to maintain on them. I'd inspect the airlines every now and then for signs of damage, especially any area(s) where the line may rub something on the vehicle, but other than that, there's really nothign to do.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
The ARBs in both our Jeeps have required no maintenance. There's really nothing to maintain on them. I'd inspect the airlines every now and then for signs of damage, especially any area(s) where the line may rub something on the vehicle, but other than that, there's really nothign to do.
Thats what I sort of figured, I just hear of these death stories in regards to ARB's but I chalk it up to poor instillation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats what I sort of figured, I just hear of these death stories in regards to ARB's but I chalk it up to poor instillation.
Exactly. Here's an excerpt from a post I made about this in another thread on here:

Keep in mind that for every ARB woe story you read, there's probably 100+ guys out there with trouble-free ARBs. That's probably the same with just about any woe story. I mean, if you have something that's been trouble free, why would you get on a forum and start a thread just to say, "hey, I haven't had any problems with [inesert product here], just wanted to let you guys know that". The squeaky wheel makes the most noise.

That whole "I've heard too much about ARB woes" is the exact reason I went with Detroits front/rear instead of ARBs when I had my first set of axles built about 8 years ago. And I completely regretted it. OX, Ected, etc weren't available back then so ARB was the only selectable available. My XJ has an ARB in the front now, and I'd love to run one in the back as well. When I locked our TJ, I made sure I went selectable front/rear. It's got an OX up front, and an ARB in the back.

We've had way more problems with our OX, but they were all related to 1st generation design bugs which have since been fixed. Our ARBs have been completely trouble-free, and the ARB in my XJ was used when I got it. Everyone I know that runs ARBs have all had good experiences with them as well.

And virtually all the ARB stories of woe you hear can be traced back to installation error (same for most OX woes as well).​

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
I'm pretty sure the most common cause of failure on an ARB is an air leak in side the diff housing which is usually caused by a bad 0-ring. I've installed 1 ARB and it's been running good for about 6-8 months...:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts