Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a bit of an issue!! I have a 98 xj 4x4 that I'm wanting to put air ride on so I can lower it and raise it!! Before everyone just down my throat I dont do off reading and my xj is a bit different 馃檭馃檭
20200818_083139.jpg

Registered
To each their own, so I am not going to flame your style, but in case you haven't been told before, you need a rollcage. This isn't optional, you need a structure to reinforce the unibody "frame" on these so they don't fold in half when you are driving down the road.

I will say that you came to the right forum as generally the people here are pretty nice, but I can easily see you and your rig being beaten to a pulp on social media or Pirate4x4.

As for your request: airbags. I have to believe this is going to require some fabwork. You need decide how much travel you want, then check all your clearances on moving parts. The trackbar, steering linkage, driveshafts, and more will need to clear so they aren't binding or contacting other parts or the body. As the vehicle height changes, so do driveshaft lengths, so if they are too long, they'll run out of range when you set the vehicle down. Oil pan is another spot I would watch since your jeep is 4x4 and has the diff potentially in the way. And thats really just the front. You still have rear leaf springs that have to go away, then perches that need cut off, coil buckets or airbag buckets mounted, and hoops/top mounts for the bags need welded in, probaby meaning cutting open your rear wheelwells to make room. AND, now you need rear control arms to hold the axle in place, so its either an aftermarket or custom rear 4-link suspension, also requiring bracketry modifications on the axle. I think the cheapest way might be starting with a TJ rear axle as it was setup for that already. Youll have to make a body-side rear trackbar bracket, and you'll have to verify you aren't going to shove the rear axle diff into the gastank when you lower it down. I don't even know what to tell you about shocks. Too many variables.

Premium Member
You have chopped it already?

Registered

Super Moderator
It looks like a pretty good job. But,I agree with superman, the first thing you need to do is strengthen the body. The upper portion, which you have removed, is an integral part of the vehicle structure and strength. Frame stiffeners, front to back would be a minimum. Plus it gives you strength to attach you bags.
If this is 4wd. You won't be able to put it to the ground. The t case will bottom out. 2wd will give you more options

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Im starting to think I may want to just bag my dakota cause its a much easier task!! I have 24 nieces and nephews and they all love the jeep and as much as I want to make it like they want it I have to be realistic with my time and funds馃榿馃榿馃檭

Super Moderator
You can do anything you dream up, it's just having the funds to bring it to life. I've never seen an XJ chopped like that. I kinda like it. But having worked on mine from bumper to bumper, we want you well informed so you are armed with the right info. And can prevent a major catastrophe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
First let me thank you guys for your input saved me alot of time and vulger statements 馃榿 i have ran across another issue!! I ordered a rear drive shaft to fit 98 cherokee classic xj , at, 4x4 with Dana 35 rear axle it arrived and seems to be about a 1/2 in longer than the one that came out of it with the slip yoke will that be an issue?

Registered
You'll have to crawl under and look. Do you have any slack in the slipyoke on the factory one? If you decide theres enough room between full axle suspension compression and droop that the extra length won't bottom out, then you're good

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking just get under there with a tape the numbers won't lie!! Omw home now to finish the freeze plugs and manifolds!! Thanks superman!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys I've removed the axle shafts and was wondering is it possible to switch from the first pic to the second

Premium Member
If you are asking if you can use a shaft with a CV joint, yes. From a ZJ with full time 4WD, However that pic is a shaft from an independent suspension and has two joints. The answer is no on that one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts