Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, realllllly long story short in my current driveline woes -

Broke a U-joint 2 months ago, replaced. Kept breaking rear diff yokes, thus the driveshaft would fall out and get bent up real bad. Finally I said screw it. Got an AMC era XJ rearshaft, 1" longer stock, works to me in accomidating my lift. Well, put it in, and then the rear output shaft seal decides to take a dump. Replaced it Saturday. Still spewing fluid, looked at it today, seals all torn up. No worries, will replace tomorrow at work.

Now the real concern is, whenever the trans is engaged from Park to Drive OR from a stop you give it some gas, you will hear a loud clank for a split seccond. Very very similar to a bad u-joint type of noise, but had my roomate get in it and replicate with me underneath, definitely comming from the T-Case, plus all the u-joints are fine.

Wondering if anyone has battled this before. The actual story behind this is much more epic, but i dont feel like writting a page to describe how I got to this point, lolol. As always, any and all insight is appricated!

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
You said "lift". How much?

·
Registered
934 Posts
The fact that the new seal got tore up leads me to believe mainshaft bearing(s) bad causing play. Is there any play in the output shaft?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts