Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bunch of my friends have told me to wet sand it, not to sure if that just means wet the thing down and go to it, or have a water bottle and keep on wetting it while sanding, im gonna sand all the way threw the paint, and prime it up, cause the clear coats peeling real bad off the hood and im just gonna re paint the thing, but was unsure about how to go about sanding it without fucking it all up.

advice would be appreciated thanks

-Zach

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
a bunch of my friends have told me to wet sand it, not to sure if that just means wet the thing down and go to it, or have a water bottle and keep on wetting it while sanding, im gonna sand all the way threw the paint, and prime it up, cause the clear coats peeling real bad off the hood and im just gonna re paint the thing, but was unsure about how to go about sanding it without fucking it all up.

advice would be appreciated thanks

-Zach
If you're sanding to bare metal, you don't need to wet sand. In fact, it might be better to rent an abrasive blaster, buy some biodegradable media (like walnut shell) and blast it off.

If you use sand media, you could heat and warp your body panels plus biodgradable media won't frost glass like windows and mirrors, but it will dull your aluminum and stainless trim.

Wet sanding is mostly for bringing out color and smoothing the surface for another coat of finish.

Bare metal would be a good surface for going to a truckliner (Herculiner, Rhino, etc.) finish, btw.

My 88 XJ has bad paint (hence the name Fadedglory) but I'm just going to sand down enough to shoot white Rustoleum gloss on it.

The funny part is there never was much evidence the old laquers and enamels were that dangerous.

Budd

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
The thing about the clear coat is that you have to get rid of it. But if you take it off and not the color coat underneath you could just clear coat it again. Perhaps that is what they meant. I need to do this to my hood badly. It is looking like some other color.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well what I did, and it turned out rather nice was bedline my hood. My hood's clear coat was peeling off, so I used auto paint stripper to take off the clear coat and paint, washed and rinsed, did a little bit of sanding to get the metal edgey, and applied 3-5 coats of bedliner to the hood.

It actually looks pretty bad ass! And if you're up to it you can put in hood vents too while you're working on your hood.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
By the looks of your pics, your paint doesn't look all that bad. You might be able to save the original paint and just re-clearcoat the hood! :dunno:

If you do decide to re-paint your hood, i would try to locate a D/A (dual action sander), or you could just hand sand. IMOA- The original paint is a much better surface than primer to apply paint to. All you'd need to is barely get through the clear coat and lightly "scuff" the paint. This is really all that is needed to create a good surface for a fresh coat of paint to adhere to.
Primer is usually only required to cover bare surfaces. :rock:

However... I really like the idea of bedliner! Besides, i already have my rocker panels and flares Herculined already. i think it would look BadAss as well!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts