Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I fix the tie rod bar that was bentend with a new one, and new end links, but I still hear a clunk when turning completely, I think it comes from the center link end link if there is such a thing,,, and I need to balance the XJ bc it pulls a lil to the right

what could the clunk be? Im probably going to take it in to get that fix plus balanced, I work to slow and Im in a hurry to use my new XJ

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had a steering stabilizer on my Jimmy make that sound before it broke on me. Just an idea to check out if you still run one.
Could be a Ball joint prob also...

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Did you get under the front end and watch the joints while someone turned teh steering wheel back and forth? It's the only way to find out what's wrong, we can't really guess for you.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure its not a loose tracbar mount?
it might be, it came from the one that conected with the steering stuff.. arm

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
it might be, it came from the one that conected with the steering stuff.. arm
draglink? that's what goes from the steering box to the passenger side tire/knuckle. The pitman arm is the steel arm on the steering box that the draglink attaches to via a tie rod end.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its dark now, Ill see tomorrow, Ill probably take it in, since it needs to be balanced and all

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Here we go, nice pretty picture:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it is the drag link

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
its dark now, Ill see tomorrow, Ill probably take it in, since it needs to be balanced and all
I think you mean it needs alignment right?

Mine pulls to the right too, big time. Alignment was done and still does it. Let me know if yours is fixed after the alignment.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I meant an alignment, but the clunk comes from the drag link, it clunks only when turning to the left and almost at the very last posible amount to turn it does it

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The alignment may cure that problem, but it still sounds like more of a trackbar issue.

Mud- I'd check to see if your tires are wearing unevenly, and if they're inflated properly. Any discrepency in tire wear or inflation will cause your rig to pull in either direction. If you were out of alignment for a while, and/or do not rotate your tires, then it could be as simple as that. You can also try to rotate the rear tires to the front, and the fronts to the rear to see if that solves the issue (again uneven wear). Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts