Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Code P0138

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mudderoy 
#1 ·
Check engine light came on and im not quite shure if its just the o2 sensor or more the chiltons i have only says Left bank downstream or downstream and pre-catalyst o2 sensor shorted to voltage. I dont know if i understand it correctly. Any help would be great.
Thankx Carol

#4 ·
Have you done a visual inspection? That wire just kind of hangs loose, or looser than I like. It is possible that it is burned and shorted, or just cut.

Yes this is the O2 sensor between the catalytic converter and the muffler. You can get a Bosch for around $65, but I'm still having problem with my MPG using those sensors. I've been told the upstream O2 controls the fuel economy.

It's pretty easy to change out the O2 sensor, get the one that has the OEM connector though.

You may have problems breaking it lose. My mechanic said that he has seen the threads in the pipe come out with the O2 sensor. He recommended tighten it, then loosening it to keep this from happening. Spray it down with something and let it soak before removing. I just use WD-40 since that is what I always have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.