Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
going by this statement right here isnt a cowl hood basically worthless on an xj because the intake is behind the headlight

and even if it allows air to escape at stoplights the air pressure off the windshield wouldnt allow it to escape at highway and normal cruising speeds

unless the pressure is so great that it forces the hot air down below the engine and under the body ... i would see this as a rather pointless mod ?
:dunno:

can someone explain thow this would help at highway speeds?
I already have the hood and have seen what it does. At idle it release hot air from the engine bay. While moving, the air is sucked into the engine bay.....I witnessed this when it was raining one day and the water was being sucked into the cowl.

I could see the heat rising out of the hood while in a construction zone.

The only reason why I bought the hood was for the looks but later realized it actually did something lmao.......You could hook up and actual air system to it if you wanted but I haven't. The hood helps in a similar fashion as the other guys cutting their hoods and putting in vents to reduce engine bay temps.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Cold air intakes that are under the hood are not really cold air intakes. No matter how much you vent the hood (except if you remove the entire hood), the intake is going to be sucking in hot engine air. A true cold air intake is one that is OUTSIDE the engine bay (snorkel) or built into a scoop on the bumper. Running your stock intake into the cowl with proper ventilation holes would be a cold air intake as well. Hood scoops and vents will lessen the engine bay temps but not dramatically enough to get any noticeable gains with an intake setup. Our xj's produce enormous amounts of heat in the bays because it's so damn crowded in there. I can't even touch the hood when out wheeling. Putting scoops and vents on the xj's hood will help this hot air get out or be reduced but it's not gonna do anything that's "WOW"! It's simply gonna get the hot air out.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mudd is right......the only thing it has done is stabilize the under hood temps and helped to stabilize the engine temps a little. The cowl hood can be made to be hooked up to your intake system like the old muscle cars used to have. The hood in the original post is the exact hood that is on mine, I just added the stripes and stuff to make it stand out more because the silver color on the hood didn't make it stand out a lot. I have already done just about everything I have wanted to do to my engine minus beafier axles and a couple minor things and this set my jeep way apart from all the others out there.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
21 - 27 of 27 Posts