Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing a cone filter air intake in place of my stock airbox. It will suit me needs very well as I do not encounter much mud/water.

I have all the parts picked it, but I would like to know, as for my valve cover breather, is it better to stick a tiny cone filter on there, or run a tube into my new intake system like the old airbox?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you wheel it at all? If so I would suggest against it and just stick with your stock filter as many of those aftermarket filters will let in a lot of dust.
I do very little wheeling. My XJ takes me to work and back most of the time, and sometimes out to the mountains for camping and whatnot. The closest I get to wheeling is sometimes running a fire trail in the local area, but it is rare.

I would plan on putting a prefilter of the cone filter itself to keep it free debris.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Pre-filters are generally too coarse of a cover to prevent dust intrusion. They are intended to keep larger chunks of debris from getting to your filter.

Avoid any oiled filters... They let more dust(like you will find loads of on fire trails) into your engine. The cotton gauze they use doesn't remove enough of the airborne particles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts