Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 1997 2-Door 5-Speed XJ. It needs some work, but I thought a older Jeep would be the perfect beginner project vehicle to learn on. I have literally no information about its life with the previous owner, but from what I can tell, it appears he started building it out and stopped in the middle for some reason. What I need help on is the wiring. Almost all the paneling is gone on the underneath of the dash exposing all the wires. It has a CB installed in place of the radio and it has a winch up front.
My question is, How do I know what is what, since I'm not the one who did any of the work? Neither the winch or the CB seems to work, so something isn't right. There's also a power inverter under the back seat.
Where do I start to get everything sorted out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
First, I have some questions. Does it run and is the dash gauges installed?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Are you sure it is a power inverter under the rear seat?
Is it under the driver's side of the rear seat?
Cause it could be the amp for the Infinity Sound System.

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
can you post a few pics of the engine bay and the dash? we need to see what you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure it is a power inverter under the rear seat?
Is it under the driver's side of the rear seat?
Cause it could be the amp for the Infinity Sound System.
I'm not sure, I'll upload some photos and hopefully you guys can tell me what I have :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The blue box under your rear seat is an amplifier and the silver box is a sound filter, guy musta been a dj. Rip it all out and start over fresh. Better that way rather than trying to fix someone else's faults in the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blue box under your rear seat is an amplifier and the silver box is a sound filter, guy musta been a dj. Rip it all out and start over fresh. Better that way rather than trying to fix someone else's faults in the system.
When I remove them, what's the best way not to mess up other wiring?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
As far as wiring of the cb and winch, it really is simple. You need to have a power supply wire and a good ground. A fuse is always recommended in the electrical system, it protects your equipment from surges and can also protect you from a vehicle fire in case something goes wrong.

Now, assuming there is nothing wrong with the winch or the cb, in that they both work when wired properly, you can get them working quite easily.

I really would disconnect the wires and make the connections yourself just to make sure its right, should be one black and one red small gauge wire on the back of the cb, trace those and see where they go. Black one needs to be grounded to the body, needs to be a bare and shiny metal spot somewhere on the body. Best way I have found would be to make a grounding bar that you can tuck away under the dash somewhere, but you can get away with crimping on a ring terminal to the ground wire and using a self tapper to secure it to the body. It will give you a good connection for that. Usually when stuff doesn't work in a DC system, its because there's a poor ground connection, usually.

For the power, the easy way would be to cut the jacket of the wire back about a 1/2", pull an accessory fuse, plug the wire in on the load side and plug the fise back in. Is it the right way? Not necessarily, but it has worked well for me and it fuses your equipment. For the cb, I'd pick a 5 amp fuse to run it through, that's plenty enough for that to run safely.

Now if you wanted to get ambitious, you could always pull the junction block from the cab and run the cb wire into the back side and give it its own permanent fuse. Up to you, anything possible if you will it to be.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
When I remove them, what's the best way not to mess up other wiring?
Pretty much you'll have to trace it by hand, pull the trim out of the way so you can follow the wires back to the origin. Now if you don't want to run an amp ever, sounds like you may not since you don't have a radio currently, rip all the wires out. You can leave them if you don't want to go through the extra work, it wouldn't hurt anything.

On the amplifier, the silver box, now that I look at the pics better, from left to right in the photo you posted, the wires are ground wire, remote wire, power wire, rca cable, rca cable. You'll want to be careful with the power wire on the amp, go to the battery and find that same cable on the positive terminal and remove that first before messing with it at the amp side. It should have a large fuse close to the battery somewhere to help distinguish it from the other cables. Once you got that done, you can begin unplugging everything at the amp and then remove the wires if you so choose.

I want to say the blue box is also an amp, hard to tell by the photo, but since it has rca cables plugged into it was well, I'd say thats what it is.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
One thing I'd focus on if I was you would be to get that optima red top battery put right side up, I dont care if its able to be flipped or not, theres metal behind that battery and enough movement could cause it to short out.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Looks like ya got a pretty sweet ride regardless. We'll get you through the electrical issues, once you deal with them enough, its easy to figure the stuff out.

I'd recommend getting a quality multimeter and then watching video tutorials on how to use it if you've never used one before. The continuity test is, IMO, the most useful mode. It'll tell ya if a wire has a break or not, and will also give an ohm reading in case you have a hugh resistance fault.

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
Ok. The PO ( previous owner) put on a snorkel albeit a crappy job. Especially since I can't see an air filter. Gonna need addressed. The very large red wire going over the brake booster, is the power wire for the amp. Trace it to the battery and you should find the fuse. The other big red wire over by the battery that isn't connected, is power for the winch. A couple red wires over by the master cylinder look green with corrosion in the butt connectors.
And your missing the mechanical fan shroud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts