Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cherokee Laredo, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 31" BFG Mudders, Smittybuit F/R Bumpers...
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of converting my 1991 4 door Laredo into an Overlander. Everything behind the two front seats has been removed and I’m prepping to build a platform in the back for storage and as a place to install a sleeping mattress. There are plenty of YouTube vids on doing this so I have a lot of options.

But, I would like to have the front seats tilt forward to provide a little more room when laying in the back. The 4 door Cherokees do not have tilt forward front seats so I’ve been looking for 2 door seats at junk yards or as after market upgrade seats. Unfortunately I’m not having much luck.

One option I’m considering is building a pair of mounting brackets that would attach under the existing seat pedestals and move the seats forward about 3 or 4 inches, and then slide the seats all the way back when in drive mode. When I need more space I can slide them all the way forward and gain that extra 3-4 inches for the sleeping platform. But it would still be great to have them flip forward too. (I’m about 5’ 11” so I never have the seats all the way back when driving so losing that slider space is not a big deal for me.)

Has anyone done a similar modification? Does anyone have any insight on how I can find a way to tilt these seats forward like the 2-door Cherokee does? I’ve spent hours doing google searches and YouTube searches and haven’t found an existing solution.

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I have a 2 door and needed new seats. These are out of a WJ. Electric leather. They don't fold forward, so I built a frame under them on a piano hinge in the front and a toggle latch to hold them down in the back
IMG_0924_zps748a722e.jpg

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I believe TJ seats also flip forward. Dont really know how much fab it would take to make those work for ya.

·
Registered
1991 Cherokee Laredo, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 31" BFG Mudders, Smittybuit F/R Bumpers...
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4.3L I saw that picture and your comment when I was doing research, and it looks like a viable solution for my issue. But I was hoping for more of an off the shelf solution if I can find one. If I can’t then that’s probably the way I’ll go.

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
I did this because I had free seats. But beyond that, I also have plans for camp chairs. That is, electric leather recliners :D. a couple of toggle latches in place of nuts on the front hinge and make a motorized platform like the ones in recliners and I will have all the comforts

Reactions: wjlizard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that’s an interesting idea…removable front seats that can be used outside the Jeep via a simple base…hum…

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
And an extension cord :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts