Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2017 WJ that is 2-wheel drive and I want to make it into a 4WD.
I’ve read A LOT of posts on here and elsewhere that say it can be donbut it’s expensive, parts are hard to find, labor is inexpensive, etc

All I want to know is:
1.) CAN it be done on a 2017 model?
2.) what’s the approximate cost?
3.) would this job be better for a dealer or local shop?

not looking for technical talk here, just some basic answers.

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
I am not sure anyone on this site can help you. Our expertise is pretty much limited to 84 - 04 Jeep Cherokees. However, I can assure there are some electronics and wiring involved which you will have to cover to make it all work properly. The best thing if you can find one is a donor vehicle in a wrecking yard starting with the transmission and transfercase

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Unfortunately, while we are open to newer model owners joining and participating here, we just dont have an active bunch of them. As for your questions, I'm completely pulling this outta the air, but I'm guessing youll easily spend a grand or more to do the conversion and no guarantees you wont have residual codes or lights on. I would assume besides the usual axle and transfercase and driveshafts and maybe transmission that you'll also need a computer programmed for a 4x4 model with your options. As new as 2017 is, there are so many modules that will need to be checked along the way. Parts wont be as cheap as we Xj/Zj guys are used to either.

I'd be inclined to talk you out of it, but I'd rather you prove me wrong and make it happen. Just promise to come back and update us on how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts