·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, my driving needs right now are very low around town DD mileage, 25-55 mph. Occasional short HW drives, and the only wheeling around here (at least 45 away) is all sand and mud, until I make a trip out to Rausch Creek.
I plan to rotate tires with every oil change.

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
It's a cooper, so that already gets my vote. It's 10 pky load range E. Another plus. I know you're in Jersey which means snow, but I think the milestars have slightly better sipping which would be an advantage in snow. So unless someone has some more definitive answers, I think it's still a toss up. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooper 10 ply range E vs Milestar range C, might be a deciding factor. think the cooper would be a stiffer ride? Definitely looking to “soften up” the daily drive as much as possible as well as not really concerned with sidewalks holding up to lots of rocks and obstacles, so a C load range might suit me better?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Ok, Coopers are awesome. Haven't run this newer one from them, but I will say that Load Range E means they'll ride like rocks on our lightweight Jeeps. E range belongs on heavy pickups. C is ok but D makes me sleep better at night knowing its a little tougher. So yeah, the Coopers vs the Milestars will definitely be a much rougher ride.

If most of what you do is on pavement, Id recommend a less aggressive tire. I wasted a good set of Cooper STT Pros like that. My next set may be less aggressive. Like the ST Maxx or AT3, both are amazing tires.

My tire shopping is heavily based on where I get the best warranty and who is going to throw in the best installation/balancing package. The store with the cheapest tire price is usually not the winner in my case. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Superman, duly noted on MT wear given street use. But, ya know. When they do go wheelin there will be mud! But really I’m driving soooo little these days, I’m less concerned.

Also, after checking online again, these r15 coopers are still 6-ply. There are different sizes that are 10 ply such as the 35 r20

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If most of what you do is on pavement, Id recommend a less aggressive tire. I wasted a good set of Cooper STT Pros like that. My next set may be less aggressive. Like the ST Maxx or AT3, both are amazing tires.
Been looking at the Cooper ST MAXX too, might be the way to go - a little less aggressive but more durable and road worthy than the evolution, and still affordable at $175 at wally. I will have to check with my local tire guys on price and installation/warranty too.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Just scanned their site real quick. They have a whole batch of new models I haven't looked at yet. The AT3 used to be one tire, now its closer to 6 different variations. Keep that one on your list, but the ST MAXX is probably my next set. Unless Im feeling silly again and get another MT.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Cooper tires are great never had any issues with them. The milestars are great tire too I ran them little over a year before I went to 37s. They grip well quiet and smooth. I honestly beat the shit out of mine and they still looked new on my uncles jeep.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn guess I shoulda jumped on tires 5 weeks ago when I was looking. Seems all those good prices are gone and everything is up again.
Milestars $169 now $193
Cooper Evolution $154 now $202
Cooper ST Max $175 now $252!

Maybe I’ll wait a bit and see if prices come back down

But on the plus side I guess, gas is $1.85 lol

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Not to burst your bubble further, but gas is going back up.......at least in my area.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, following up this thread - ended up with a set of these Cooper Evolution MTs at $148 ea. We’ll see how they hold up! So far they are a nice smooth ride, have a bit of a hum but not too loud. Look great in person, I’m thrilled with how my Jeep sits now.
I’ll get out in the woods soon and report back. I’ll try to keep tabs on how they wear and update here.
I do miss the rim guard edge though, they have no protection where the tire meets the rim.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Me too!

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Looking sharp!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a few weeks on the road, these Coopers developed a band of discoloration on the sidewall. I asked Cooper about it and their response was "Send them back, we need to evaluate them!" They are offering to reimburse the original cost of the tires and and additional mount/balance and any return shipping charges.
Ok that's fine, but of course i can't get new ones at the same price anymore because i got them stupid cheap through Amazon, and now Amazon doesn't have them in stock anymore except from 3rd party sellers at $60 a piece more than i paid.
I can still claim a return with Amazon (one more day to do so) and get a refund but they wont sell me new ones at the same price. The Cooper rep seems to think they will.
So i have a few options:
1. take the reimbursement/refund and buy something else and eat another couple hundred bucks
2. keep fighting with Amazon and Cooper to work it out to get replacements of the same tires with no additional cost
3. just ignore it and tell myself it's only cosmetic and not a structural defect and next time mount black wall out
4. start a tire fire

what would you do?

Here you can see a clean spot where i scrubbed with a rag and soapy water, and yo can still see the different surface coloration of the rubber.

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Did you send pics to Cooper and they asked for them back? Or did they just go on your word? If Cooper wants them back they may feel it's a defect and don't want sued. Is it really only cosmetic, it may be a defect in the sidewall rubber?
I would see if Cooper would send another set. Did you run them through an automatic car wash?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I sent pics. Rep said they hadn’t seen that before, they do want them back to check it out. It showed up after a Pine Barrens car wash - mud puddles! I have since done a manual wash.
So they want my tires for study but want the dealer (Amazon) to replace them. Cooper is not offering to send me replacements directly, only reimburse my original costs. That’s where the process is breaking down.

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
You shouldn't be punished because you got a good deal. You should get back whatever it cost to replace them. What if you had paid a higher price, you would gotten that amount back, and used it to buy new ones. It's definitely a pickle, and what do you do for tires in the mean time? Cooper and Amazon should split the difference

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Yeah Im leaning on options 2 or 3. Guessing its no big deal, but the opportunity to work it out with Cooper and improve their tires or catch a flaw is worth fighting to get new ones at no cost to you. Regardless of what they reimburse, you still have vehicle downtime, or time off work even to get tire shop appointments.

Tell your Cooper rep to get you some tires for pete's sake. If the manufacturer wants them back, they can send you new ones, regardless of where you bought them from. Amazon doesn't need punished because Cooper wants to check out your tires. Maybe you need to go over this rep's head?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts