Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice wheels. I'm thinking of getting the STT Pro also since I heard good reviews about them. Looks like they can be a good alternative to BFG MT.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Sweet Discounts...... You will be able to save some cash to go explore with the New Treads on. I've had the Black Rock Steelies D window's for a few years there Sturdy and holding up well but the salt Ro'ads in the winter's makes the finish start to bubble then Flake&rust off. It always starts In the inner lip off the rim's. I was thinking of a silicone bead mod for the inside seam area to keep salt n water out.... It can be done unnoticeable My next set For sure. My cousins
started already and they are 3mos old SMH
True about the rust. I just bought D-window wheels from q-tec but I sprayed the wheel's "valley" with fluid film and it did not rust this time. In fact the fluid film is still sticking to it after two car washes. They usually start to rust after one season. :thumbsup:

Fluid film is da shi$.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Learned something new today on Cherokee talk "Valley" of the rim ..Thanks ddc4dcdffc I always wash the sand & salt out.... But packing the Valleys are a sure way to prevent Decay on steelie's

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Sweet wheels. I want those for sure

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
While watching my current tires wear off, Im thinking about going to the ST MAXX next time around. I haven't wheeled enough to justify the full MT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While watching my current tires wear off, Im thinking about going to the ST MAXX next time around. I haven't wheeled enough to justify the full MT.
Here in south Jersey it's all peanut butter mud so ya kind of need a set of MTs if you want to wheel at all esp after it rains

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read good reviews about that Cooper Tires. Thinking of replacing the tires on my new Cherokee once I take it home. I might go for Toyo Open Country Tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
My next tire is gonna be a Milestar Patagonia. If I could afford the coopers, I would go that route.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here in south Jersey it's all peanut butter mud so ya kind of need a set of MTs if you want to wheel at all esp after it rains

Damns straight, sand and mud is all we have to offer!
I’m really leaning toward the Patagonia’s also. Might just take that plunge to 35s and force myself to regear :rofl:

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well ladies and gentlemen, its time officially revive this thread: I need tires. Maybe wheels. at ~$200 each that puts me at the 800-1000+ range and probably add in mounting/balancing, etc. I kind of want better wheels but its not a serious priority. Oddly enough I started almost exactly how I started this thread: STT Pros, DC extreme country, MT baja something something, and the Cooper ST Maxx.
I wanted to change to a more highway friendly tire since thats mostly what my Jeep sees honestly, even if I am wheeling more than in the past. The ST Maxx sounded good, but its got the same specs as the STT pro, and Cooper's own website says they have worse handling stats! So screw it, STT Pro is good, which is what I currently have.

My question for you all: What recommendations do you have for a Jeep that sees mostly highway but wheels in hills/mud/woods, and needs to keep up with a CJ, TJ, and YJ all on 35s, 37s, and 40s? Im sticking close to my original size which is 31x10.50R15. I would consider 32s, but 33s are just a little too much. Here's why:
-I want to retain my oem flares
-I do not want to change my lift anymore really (at the moment)
-I tow my little trailer and need some power for that
-I do a lot of highway and want to keep my top speed up (high 70s, seeing 80 occasionally)
Jeep has 4.10 gears and AW4 auto with 31x10.50R15 tires.

Recommendation rules:
  • I WILL NOT consider anything BFG or Goodyear. I don't think Michelin has any offerings either.
  • MickeyThompson, Dick Cepek, Mastercraft and more are all made by Cooper. Many of them MADE IN THE USA, most of this size range are produced in Arkansas, some in Ohio. I would prefer USA made just because of the world we are living in at the moment.
  • Anything in the 31-32" diameter range
  • narrower the better
  • 15 or 16" rim
  • prefer Load range C but would like to know how the Jeep rides for those of you with Load range E?

So now that I've narrowed it down and taken all the fun out of it, who can find the tires I'm overlooking and recommend them to me?

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Milestar Patagonia has been getting good reviews as of late. Several 15" and 16" options. Load range C or E.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Nitto Ridge Grappler.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks fellas, I'm looking into them!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Curious Superman ,why no bfgs?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Sorry, went back and read first post....

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Curious Superman ,why no bfgs?
Sorry, went back and read first post....
If it makes you feel better I had to go back and see what I put in the first post lol. Reasoning is the same pretty much. I prefer some other brands and the last set of BFGs I had sucked. They work for a lot of people but I don't need to bother with em.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've had the stt pros for a few years now, the jeep doesn't see many miles unless I drive it to some trails for a short wheeling trip. They have excellent road manners though, but with them being 33s on 3.55 gears, I'm starting to lose power in the tired 4.0l that I have(cant wait for the swap), and sometimes have to grab 4th on highways. Shell still cruise at 75 mph no problem when on the flats.

They have performed excellent offroad in all sorts of situations that I've been in. Aired down they really start to grab at everything to get ya where ya need.

If you won't consider 33s due to power reasons, I'd at least get 32s for if/when you do air down for a trail, every little bit of clearance will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure about cooper tires but I think Nexen tires are great you don't have to worry about the alignment and it has an efficient design of tire thread.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts