Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made some progress on the rear bumper build this weekend. I made the brackets to slide into the unirail, and opened the rear of the unirail for access.

I used the same tubing for the brackets that I used to make the bumpers.

No worries, the grade 5 hardware was just for mock up purposes. I'll installing grade 8 when it goes on for real.

Once I get the brackets finished, there will be a total of 20 bolts holding it in place, that should be plenty!! LOL!!

A shot of the inside of the bumper. I want the best departure angle possible, so the reciever hitch is tucked in to nearly flush with the outer surface of the bumper.

Bumper clamped in place to check the depth in which it will sit. It is right where I wanted it to be. Now I have to finish the brackets, so I can tack it together.

This shot shows how flush the bumper fits.

I'm hoping to have this done in a couple more visits to the shop, so far it's coming along well.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hey Cos, nice job with the bumper, I like the way you tie it into the frame rail - nice and strong for recoveries. I also like how you have it flush with the tailgate, but my only concern would be that if you're wheeling and are on an incline or similar, and roll back, you're tailgate is equally as vulnerable as the bumper because it sits so flush. Any thoughts on maybe extending it out 1-2 inches for added protection/peace of mind.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Nice build, looking forward to more

·
Registered
84 Posts
With that many bolts, combined with the depth, use what you have, grade 8's wont offer anything more. :pop:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Cos, nice job with the bumper, I like the way you tie it into the frame rail - nice and strong for recoveries. I also like how you have it flush with the tailgate, but my only concern would be that if you're wheeling and are on an incline or similar, and roll back, you're tailgate is equally as vulnerable as the bumper because it sits so flush. Any thoughts on maybe extending it out 1-2 inches for added protection/peace of mind.
I have yet to have any issues of that happening currently, and as I think of the scenerios, it would be a really bad situation. I think if that happened, I would have much more to worry about, than the hatch. I'm far more concerned about keeping as much of the departure angle that I can, but thanks for the concern!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I like what you did with the rails. I am going to pull my bumper off and do the same thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think it looks fantastic, love the frame mounts. If I had the time, that's exactly like how I want to redo my rear bumper. Personally I'd have it sticking out a few inches from the hatch though, but I just like my bumpers to stick out a bit for more protection (and to be used as a step if/when needed).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts