Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a reasonable price to have a set of wheels powdercoated for ? I was quoted by a local place this am $125.00 EACH... I was like. UHHH.. NO. I'll either live with an ugly color until I can buy the wheels I really want.. Surely that can't be a normal price, you can get a lot of decent wheels brand new for that and less... I'm in Richmond Virginia, just wondering what it's like everywhere else ?

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I don't think powdercoating is a good idea on a 4X4. It doesn't hold up well to salt on the roads. I would consider paint instead. I had good luck with a spray on paint called chalkboard that was tough and held up well on my aluminum wheels now for about fifteen years. Just about the color you want too. It comes in several brands and is tough enough to use as a chalk board when done without damage

Reactions: AncientFuture

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Its very dependent on the current state of the wheels. A set of bare steel wheels is ready to be powdercoated, but a painted or clearcoated set needs to be blasted and prepped first. This can take a lot of time, esp if they already have powdercoat on them. If you have ever attempted to remove powdercoat, it sucks. It basically needs to be torched and wirewheeled/ground off. I took some powdercoated parts in to a shop once to be blasted and after they finished the shop owner asked me to never bring that to their shop again.

I think the last quote I saw on a set was around $100 per wheel. I hate powdercoat, so why anyone would ever do that to something subjected to roadgrime and rock chips is beyond me. Spray paints come in every color and can be touched up easily. Plastidip is annoying to remove, but it is a viable option for short-term color changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think powdercoating is a good idea on a 4X4. It doesn't hold up well to salt on the roads. I would consider paint instead. I had good luck with a spray on paint called chalkboard that was tough and held up well on my aluminum wheels now for about fifteen years. Just about the color you want too. It comes in several brands and is tough enough to use as a chalk board when done without damage
Thanks ! Thats good to know, TBH, my intuition was that powdercoast would be the TOUGHEST out of the options, but just goes to show what I don't know about wheels hahaha... Curious, what kind of Prep did you need for yours ? Did you need to take the clear coat off first, I'm going to assume, or is there a primer for this Chalkboard stuff ? Sounds right up my alley, Lol... I prefer to do my own stuff, if I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is THIS the Chalkboard Paint you're talking about ? Any preference between the brands ? Personally, I've used a lot of Rustoleum over the years, but have never used this particular type. But I'm not married to nay particular brand, just want the best, whatever it may be,lol..

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I used Rustoleum because that is what Lowes had. Just rough them up with sand paper

Reactions: AncientFuture
1 - 6 of 6 Posts