Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You do realize we are going to need some kind of information right?
Who installed it?
Was the Jeep running previously?
Is it even a Jeep? What model/year/etc?
Do you have any idea what kind of security it is? Brand, model, does it have a keyfob or a chip or nothing?

Did you recently purchase the vehicle? Maybe the PO forgot to give you something for it.
Why is the dash taken apart?

Is there a computer module somewhere for it?
What is it wired to?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you guys for the response. So the vehicle is a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Zj Limited. I just bought it the previous owner said it came with this feature. I have to plug this flash drive thing for about 2sec or else the ignition would not come on.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
So is it working now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's working but it's too frustrating to have to do this extra step everytime I need to start the vehicle

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Ok then, open up your steering column and see where its wired to. Or maybe one of our other members has a wiring schematic for your 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Zj Limited that will help illuminate how to disable it.

A quick google search says that up to 1995, you could cut and ground a wire to disable it. But 96 and up you may need to buy a different PCM that doesn't have the security feature. Exactly what that is, Im not sure. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
Are there any markings on the flash drive that may indicate who the manufacturer is? It Looks like a cheap security system, it may interrupt the factory security, or it might just interrupt the ignition.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
In your pic there is a "V" shaped insignia, try googling security bypass flash drive and see if any pics pop up that look like that.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
It is probably just wired as a bypass into the ignition hot wire to the ignition relay. It doesn't look like it would be all that intrusive.

Open the collar and see if the wires it is spliced to is the same wire but cut and run into the usb port. I can add some diagrams later if you need them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do.
It is probably just wired as a bypass into the ignition hot wire to the ignition relay. It doesn't look like it would be all that intrusive.

Open the collar and see if the wires it is spliced to is the same wire but cut and run into the usb port. I can add some diagrams later if you need them.

Thank you for your suggestion I'm away from the vehicle for a few days but will definitely explore your suggestions and update you guys when I'm back thanks a mil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts