Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my jeep and i love it

2001 jeep sport

i just drove it from st louis missouri to sunny southern cali, it was fine the whole trip, i averaged about 16.2 mpg on the way, is that about average, i noticed my tires were really low when i got back and i filled those back up so maybe it will go up a little ( tires were at 30 psi for all 4, recommended on the tire says 50)

i didnt notice it the whole drive but i wasnt idling a lot, when it idles the rpm rises very slightly but you can hear a distinct purr when it done, it goes from about 3/4 the way to 1000 rpm to just a tad below 1000 rpm.

im only worried about this cause i had an eclipse that started out this way and slowly got worse and worse, and turned out it was the timing belt had jumped a couple teeth and the more it jumped more teeth the more it would do that until it jumped off completely

also, the only modification i want to do is bigger tires, whats the biggest i can go without a lift, ive researched alot and no one really knows, just guesses around 29 to 30 inchers, anyone have my same model that can let me know? and also about how much does a cheap small lift cost? maybe 3 inches?

thanks for all the advice you can give me, im glad i convinced myself to join this forum im learning a ton just lookin at past post so far

·
Registered
324 Posts
First... Welcome to the Cherokee world...

Second... the Cherokee doesn't have a timing belt, just an old fashioned, reliable timing chain. Start by making sure all of the connectors are tight on your engine sensors..

Third.. How much you can add depends on your usage. If it just a street Jeep and flexing isn't a concern a 30 inch tire will EASILY go on your Jeep. But if flexing is a must running a 29 will give you a touch more wiggle room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First... Welcome to the Cherokee world...

Second... the Cherokee doesn't have a timing belt, just an old fashioned, reliable timing chain. Start by making sure all of the connectors are tight on your engine sensors..

Third.. How much you can add depends on your usage. If it just a street Jeep and flexing isn't a concern a 30 inch tire will EASILY go on your Jeep. But if flexing is a must running a 29 will give you a touch more wiggle room.
ya id probaly say more street definitely, its not gona be near as modified as most the jeeps on this forum, maybe some day but for the next year or 2 i want it to be my daily driver

also can you define "flexing" for me
im guessing it means amount of turning you can do without rubbing?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Flexing is pretty much how much travel the axle has to move up and down.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
ya id probaly say more street definitely, its not gona be near as modified as most the jeeps on this forum, maybe some day but for the next year or 2 i want it to be my daily driver

also can you define "flexing" for me
im guessing it means amount of turning you can do without rubbing?
We all started somewhere and for most of us its been a long build over a long period of time. So keep that in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts