Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator started leaking a ton of coolant onto the ground and I thought it was my upper radiator hose at first but I replaced it and it's still leaking. It is leaking right where the upper radiator hose attaches the the radiator. I can't personally see the crack but I am pretty sure there is one because I have reseated the hose twice now and it still leaks. So my question is: Can I just half ass it and put JB weld on it and call it good?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Is that tank brass or plastic?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you asking to see if it is a closed or open system? It's open, and the resovoir tank is plastic.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
OK

Is this leak where your hose goes into the radiator tank? If so, what material is it mad of?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it is where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator, and it's metal. I already JB welded so I'll see by tomorrow if it works.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it doesnt work just go pick up a new one. They arent terribly expensive.
$153 at autozone :) Not sure what pick and pull charges....

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
No it is where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator, and it's metal. I already JB welded so I'll see by tomorrow if it works.
If it is a brass tank, and I am assuming it is then it should be soldered. Then it should not leak again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think radiatorbarn will sell you a better product than autozone, if you're going to buy new.

I've bought junkyard radiators before and had decent success. To buy one from the local parts places is about $450. Junkyard, $20. Flush it out before installing it - CLR works pretty good for that.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With something like a rad I would just go ahead and buy a new one rather then pick n pull. You going to be ready for friday?
Yeah I will be. The GF is only going to be in town for the week and she is dieing to go, so I am going to be busting my ass to get it all ready :p

O I figured out what that popping sound was from. The bolt that holds the lower control arm to the axle was extremely loose; you could turn it with your hand, lol.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
JB Weld might hold for a while, but it'll eventually start to stress crack around the area that's JB welded. I JB'd mine last summer and it lasted about two months, then the radiator just split wide open one day in the middle of the street and I was stuck. So it's just a band-aid.... prepare to replace!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O ok. Well it is just going to be for a month or so. I just need it to last for this weekend and i'll be happy. I put a ton of JB weld on it all the way around so hopefully it will hold.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah JB weld didn't work (obviously) so i bought a new radiator from autozone. I got it all in and it seems to be working fine. Now for some reason whenever my jeep warms up, it will get up to about 240 and then the Tstat will open and then it will drop down to about 180 pretty dang fast and then it's fine. i am guessing it is because I have air in the system?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Yeah I will be. The GF is only going to be in town for the week and she is dieing to go, so I am going to be busting my ass to get it all ready :p

O I figured out what that popping sound was from. The bolt that holds the lower control arm to the axle was extremely loose; you could turn it with your hand, lol.
:D Well worst case we will have to do a trail fix but im not terribly concerned about that.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well good news is I got the radiator in and it doesn't leak coolant. Bad news is that it leaked a ton of tranny fluid. I was going out to the beach on a steep uphill windy road and when I got to the beach, I noticed that the entire underside of my jeep was wet. It turned out to be tranny fluid. It was leaking from where the upper tranny cooler line connects to the radiator. Good news is that I got it all tightened down (the little nipple that goes into the radiator) and it seems to be working fine. Funny thing is, when I checked the levels, it was still full. It is almost overfull, but not quite, so it was probably really full to begin with. Anyways, I bought a gallon of tranny fluid and two gallons of coolant for wheeling tomorrow so I should be good :)

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it's dumb though because where it was leaking from was installed from the factory. It's a little female coupler and it wasn't even tightened from the factory. O well, that's what I get for trusting other people's work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts