Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently neck deep in rebuilding the 3.6L VVT in my '13 Grand Cherokee. How I got here is a bit of a long story. I started out replacing a leaking oil cooler. I would eventually learn that while doing this, I unknowingly dropped a tiny hex bit into the intake of the right head. I found this out when things crashed after restarting and I found the broken remains of the #5 piston in my oil pan. Thankfully, there was no damage to the cylinder wall. A full tear-down, inspection, and rebuild has commenced. I've completely disassembled both heads, cleaned everything, lapped valves, and am now moving on to the block to get ready to hone cylinders.

When I started looking in the block, I noticed that there is a ring of teeth built onto the crankshaft (component #16 in the diagram). Two of these teeth were bent (presumably from piston chunks). I was able to straighten one back out, but the second broke off while straightening (pics below). I'm not 100% sure of the function of the teeth, but it looks like they are picked up by the crankshaft position sensor. So my questions are:

• will a missing tooth on this ring make a difference? Will I start seeing a CPS error?
  • would it be an effective repair to try to weld this tooth back on and grind smooth?
I really don't want to have to replace the crank and I can't find a part number for this plate.....it looks like it's only sold as a part of the crank. Appreciate any guidance here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,292 Posts
The answer is yes, it needs to be replaced. Have you checked with a dealer for this part? The sensor needs to be very accurate. I also notice a tooth on the right that is bent. This could possibly hit the sensor since the clearance is small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of afraid of that. I’ve gone ahead and removed the crank. Haven’t checked with dealer yet, but I will. If not, guess I’ll be buying a new crank. About to order a rear main seal....should I replace main bearings as well? I was thinking that I may as well replace them, but wondering if there’s any issue with that if I don’t end up replacing the crankshaft......with the same crankshaft, would I be better off to keep the bearing that are “worn in” to the shaft.

·
Premium Member
9,292 Posts
Instead of a new crank, you might price a regrind. It should have the sensor ring on it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts