Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Custom Rear Sub woofer Pod

Well my issue was i had this huge sub woofer box taking up a lot of rear storage room. I've seen a couple manufacturers that make the pods that fit into your storage area in the rear, however I don't want to fork out $180.00 for something I could learn to do myself.

Material:
Headliner & Carpet Adhesive
Fiberglass Resin Kit
Masking tape
Bondo
Oval Partical Board
Scissors
Fabric (1yrd)
Pam Spray
Phillips Screw driver
Skill Saw
Drill

Step 1

Remove the screws to temporally remove the rear side paneling i didn't have a large enough Hex tips to remove the seat belt loop so i pull a lot out and it gave me enough room to lay it out flat. Clean off the area that you are going be working on. After the area is completely clean and dried apply your masking tape to the area, don't be skimpy with the tape to much is better than not enough. Next spray the area done with Pam spray, this help with the fiberglass not stick to the masking tape.

Step 2
Pre cut out strip of your fiberglass cloth that came with your Fiberglass kit. Mix up a little of your fiberglass resin(not all at once) just follow the directions.

Step 3

After the fiber glass is complete dried remove it from the paneling. At this step i used a dremel tool to cut off the excess material, I used indent that goes around the the storage area as a guide. Next you'll need to make our buy your wooden ring for your sub woofer to mount to. Then created legs for the ring to mount to and mounted them to the fiberglass pod.

Step 4
Now it's time to get the resin back out. Grab the yard of clothe, the thicker and stretchier the better. Stretch material over your top side of your fabric and stretch it to the back side. I used the adhesive spray and applied it on the backside of the pod. Make sure you pull it tight this is what its gonna look like when its done, the less wrinkles the less bondo you will have to do. I had some winkles so i had to do some bondoing.

Step 5
On this step you have a few option; spray painting it, wrapping it a material of your choice— I chose to wrap it. Making sure it was completely clean and grease free i sprayed and applied my fabric. Once that's done mount it a few screw on the back side of the paneling to your pod.

If you have any questions please PM, this was my first write up so be gentle.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
thats a really nice setup

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice work man, that is a super clean setup. How's the sound with that setup and do you get a lot of rattling?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey thanks a lot guys. It sounds great as far as im concerned about, just right. No I haven't heard it rattle, if it starts I'll probably just remount it with rubber washer and small bolts.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
Love it! besides who cares about winning compititions, atleast he still has storage room, and rear seats.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that what im talking about, im not into having a lot of bass.

i love the extra space as well, finally putting use to that storage area.

I put my amp under the drivers seat, could go under the back as well depending on the size.

I'm thinking about doing kick panel as well, i have not have front speakers with the doors off.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
That's what I was thinking about when I did mine this way, extra space and just enough bass to compliment the music I listen to, mainly rock. I had a few little rattles at first so stuffed poly fill into all the open spaces behind the plastic and it cleared it up.

Here's a pic of mine, not as clean as yours though.:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice job, looks great. I want to do this mod as well but I believe I'll open up the back side and use sound proof material in there. :rock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice job, looks great. I want to do this mod as well but I believe I'll open up the back side and use sound proof material in there. :rock:
yeah that's one way to do it, if i were to go that route i'd like to make completely sealed though. You can make a mold out of anything, just have to lay down the tap or plastic down first.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Very nice setup! Looks factory. :thumbsup:

I moved this to the proper section. Thanks for the write-up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Real nice setup. I thought about this, but I think I'm just gonna mount a sub box and amp to the rear seat so that I can take it out before I wheel my jeep.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i like the look of the fiberglass setup. i would like to do this with mine, just concerned about havin enough air volume, well that and rattlin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts