Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee bad rear end mine has a dana 35 and we found a dana 44 both have 3.73 gear ratios are they interchangeable or what should i be looking out for. Ive been told they are fully interchangable and another sie says you will need the drive shaft anther says the drive shaft yoke would need to be modified and another said differnt bolt set up so we are lost need some guidance

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
If it is the WJ Dana44A then yes it swaps right over. Not sure about the U joint size between the two though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would i find out the if it is a WJ and what does that stand for and what does the A mean. is it on a tag or do i need to find it through some other methods

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i found the WJ means newer model 99+ the swap is dana 44 from a 2000 cherokee into a 2002 grand cherokee laredo that has a bent dana 35 in it. Both are 3.73 gear ratio

·
Super Moderator
10,721 Posts
The A stands for aluminum. The Dana 44A has an aluminum housing. It is NOT a typical Dana 44. And parts are not interchangeable between the Dana 44 and the Dana 44A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts