Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a good upgrade for a dana 35 with abs i have a 98 jeep cherokee and was thinking of putting in a dana 60 froma 2001 dodge 2500 but an't to sure about the abs

·
Registered
444 Posts
best upgrade i've seen for a D35 is removing it =p lol.

in reality.. by the time you build a D35 to be "strong" you could of bought a D44 and saved a butt load of money.. im a college student.. i like saving money haha

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well if you do pull an axle from that dodge, you better get a matching axle for the front because full widths are WIDE. Your tire will almost clear your fenders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was also thinking of rigging a 8.25 up for abs using stock zj rear disc brake setup and abs axle ring i've done the disc brake setup before but never with an abs unit also i was going to do a stroker and was wondering what head was better for the 4.0L 98 or 94 heard the 94 had bigger ports? thanks guys

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Just curious, why is ABS such a big deal for you? I mean it's not that important seeing as how most cherokees don't even have it in the rear.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Not having ABS isn't doing it wrong. My '00 XJ had ABS from the factory, I swapped in an XJ Dana 44 and no longer have ABS. I don't see how I didn't do it "right." If the XJ's came from the factory without ABS as often, if not more often, then when they came from the factory without it, then I don't see how it's wrong.

My braking performance has been unaffected by not having ABS. Yes, I have to do the braking and pumping myself if I want to prevent from locking up the brakes should the situation arise, but that's no different than driving an XJ stock that never had ABS.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
maybe i wanna do it right and not go rigging anything etc and dodge rears aren't that much wider then a jeep not like you say anyway
Ok,well go ahead and do it then, it's not my jeep. I'm pretty sure full widths are 16" wider then jeep axles, so your tires will be sticking out 8" more on each side. But hey, since you are the expert I would just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Why would you want to waste the time and money on fullwidths when you could just be done by plugging in an 8.25? From what I gather you will never even run a large enough tire to where you will need those axles. Then you should probably beef up all your mounts since they're not designed to have that kind of weight hanging off of them. So just make your life easy and do a plug and play axle.

Just my $.02 but hey, I would love to see some pics when you're done with your fullwidths on 31" or 33" tires.:pop:

Getting rid of your ABS is not considered to be rigging in any way, it's probably the smarter thing to do if you ever take your rig down rocky or slippery trails.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
maybe i wanna do it right and not go rigging anything etc and dodge rears aren't that much wider then a jeep not like you say anyway
look no ones attacking you. everyone was just giving there 2 cents.
its up to you if you want abs or not.
dodge 2500 will have larger axles and they are much wider. look how much wider a dodge is than an xj.

·
Registered
953 Posts
\ make sure the gear ratio in your front and possibly new rear axle is the same if you do that swap or you will mess a ton up.
x2

You will not regret going the 8.25 route and your pocket book will thank you too

Good luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts