Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
closed knuckle, no good.

you want open knuckle.

you want driver's side drop not passenger.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I saw D44 and then figure it must be the front diff, and all these ideas started in my little head. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well good. After learning about the D60's I thought this would be the best thing to do. I'll just run what I got then later look at doing the D60's. I'd love to do 37" tires (or more!). :bow:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anyone know what this is from the description?

1976 jeep wagoneer DANA 44
Not what you want if you're looking for an axle for an XJ.

As has been said wrong side drop, among other things....

Alloy shafts in a d44hp is fine up to 37s or more (depending on you use of the skinny pedal) Both of my axles are from a 79 F-100 or f-150....

d44hp and 9inch (especially a hp 9inch) are a great combo, IMHO.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wouldn't go over dana 44's.

the ground clearance you lose with the differential on the dana 60 is horrendous.

plus, how many people do you know that carry trail spares for a d60? if you break down on a trail and are in a bind it's more likely you'll find someone with parts for a dana 44 than a dana 60...and just about as likely to break

·
Registered
872 Posts
I agree, a D44 is the biggest you need. I wouldn't go over a 37" tire in an XJ anyway, so anything over that is too much IMHO!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for the record I'm years away from doing anything with my diffs. I just saw the D44 and started thinking.

I know you can break anything, but a Dana 60!?!?! On a lite XJ??!?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive broken both rear axle shafts, both fron inner and outter shafts. Replaced them all w/ alloys and havnt broken them yet (only one season though) I run about 5 psi and 37's. A dana 60 is so much beefier than the 44, yes you lose some ground clearace but you can shave the bottom of it. its all personal preferance and what kind of wheeling you do. Ive seen dana 30's w/ 38's and they were ran for years w/ no problems, and ive heard about dana 60's braking w/ 33's. they both have a huge aftermarket, i still say go for it just for the bad ass factor!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
im doing a 44 and a 8.8 swap in mine right now. go 60's if you have the money, its worth trust me! i dont have the money which is why im forced do go with a 44. mine came out of a 73 bronco. fits under the cherokee nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiosity, that's how it all starts :(, I started searching around for Dana 60 information. I'm assuming a Dana 60 is like anything else, some are better suited to install in an XJ than others.

Is there a specific one I should look for? From a Ford truck for example?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You'll want to go with High Pinion 60's, as they are better suited for lift and such. Usually your best bet is to grab them out of Fords.

Keep in mind that 60's are a whole 'nother ballpark though. If you get King Pin 60's you'll have to figure out a way to replace the king pins if they need it. This can often be a bitch. The sheer weight of them also makes them hard to move around, especially when they're "fully loaded" with the knuckles, brakes, etc. It took an engine hoist to lift my buddy's 60 from the ground into the bed of a pickup to get it home.

As for which one is better in order to bolt it in, it doesn't matter. Any 60 you get you'll have to cut the perches and brackets off of and reweld new ones on for it to fit on the XJ.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read that the pumpkin weights 88 lbs, and holds 6 quarts of lubricant. Nice!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wouldn't go over dana 44's.

the ground clearance you lose with the differential on the dana 60 is horrendous.

plus, how many people do you know that carry trail spares for a d60? if you break down on a trail and are in a bind it's more likely you'll find someone with parts for a dana 44 than a dana 60...and just about as likely to break
With that logic you'd be far better off sticking with a D30 then. I don't know many folks that carry spares for D44 fronts, but I know a ton that carry spares for D30s. But that's also because most of the people we wheel with are running 33s-37s on a D30/D44 combo though.

The problem with finding spares for a D44 on the trail is there's so many versions that all use different length inner and outer shafts. Finding someone with an exact match for your axle may not be easy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
With that logic you'd be far better off sticking with a D30 then. I don't know many folks that carry spares for D44 fronts, but I know a ton that carry spares for D30s. But that's also because most of the people we wheel with are running 33s-37s on a D30/D44 combo though.

The problem with finding spares for a D44 on the trail is there's so many versions that all use different length inner and outer shafts. Finding someone with an exact match for your axle may not be easy.

true, but the chances are higher than finding someone with matches for your d60.

it's a toss-up. the dana 60 loses you ground clearance. you pretty much need 37's or you've got a giant shovel up front. the dana 44 doesn't lose you much clearance, is stronger than a dana 30, has lockout hubs (usually), and doesn't lose you ground clearance (much). the dana 30 is fine...if you're not going HUGE with tires.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You can shave a D60 to be very similar in total clearance of a D44, without having to turn the ring gear down. Average clearance isn't as good, but... That's the price you pay for the added beef.

And if you want to have the best trail spare avaliability... Get a toy mini-truck axle. Every toy guy carries 10 spare birfs and shafts, plus a couple thirds, maybe 2 or 3 hubs, some hub studs, and pretty much anything else with them. That's what running junk gets you. I remember a toy guy breaking 3 gearsets in one weekend, and yes there was enough spare thirdmembers amongst the group (that had the right ratio) that he could swap them and continue wheeling. Yay for toy crap.

I think I'd rather have a 60 and not have to do that. Spend the bucks on the 35 spline chromos and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts