Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a dana 44 out of an older cherokee wagoneer. When I got it home I realized that the differential isn't centered. It sits about 3" over to the right. The spring perches look like they are fine but the differential is what worries me. Will it still work in my cherokee?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it looks exactly like all the pictures people post of dana 44s, just a little off centered.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, thats what I was thinking and why I didn't check if the axle was off. Right now I am just cleaning it up and getting it ready for painting. If it turns out that I can't run it then I will just resell it.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got off the phone with my friend who is a "4x4 expert" and he said it was fine that the differential is off centered. I might have to move the exhaust around but it should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
260 Posts
thats normal....most diffs are offset.If a driveshaft ran straight in line between the two yokes,the u joints would only wear one side of the cap...it has to be offset to evenly wear the ujoint.......my last dana 44 rear had two different lenth shafts...pull the shafts on your 35 0r 8.25 and you will find they are different.......ford 8.8`s are the same.

if its out of a full size waggy then u might have to relocate the spring perches

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the bolt pattern is different too. Its 6" x 6 lug design. Ugh, I think im just going to resell it then, unless I can find a matching bolt pattern axle for the front.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So basically my options are to try and finding a matching full size wagoneer dana 44 for the front?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
So basically my options are to try and finding a matching full size wagoneer dana 44 for the front?
You could always pull the front from the person that you got the rear from. Though I am not too sure the quality of the waggy axles.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He already sold the front axles. :(

Im debating reselling this axle as buying that chrysler 8.25" 29 spline in scotts valley. Hmmmm..... :p

·
Registered
6,178 Posts

·
Banned
851 Posts
If it's 6 bolt and off set by 4" you can't use it with the T-case in your XJ.. that axle is out of a Quadra track Waggy..

And just for the record the bolt patter id 6 on 5.5

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that would just be foolish. ;)

What about this?
FSJ LIFT SPRINGS, 4" WAGONEER DANA 44
Ugh, another $250, then I would have to either do a leaf conversion on my jeep or swap the axle to springs. I think im just going to ditch this axle and start over. Know anyone who would want a dana 44 from a FSJ? :p

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
You could also look into a bolt pattern swap; it would require new shafts and brakes though so it still wouldn't be as cheap as getting an 8.25"...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts