Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i was wondering if anyone has a jeep xj dana 44 for sale i am willing to pay good money for one

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Good luck finding one. They are getting pretty rare. You might have better luck finding a TJ or YJ D44 and welding the right spring perches on it. Also the Scout II D44 is very close to the same width

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
If you gotta reweld perches, a Ford 8.8 from an early explorer isn't a bad option. And probably a hell of a lot easier to find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck finding one. They are getting pretty rare. You might have better luck finding a TJ or YJ D44 and welding the right spring perches on it. Also the Scout II D44 is very close to the same width
yeah i have looked absolutely everywhere for one and can’t find one to save my life like i was even interested in buying the whole xj just for the axle

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Are you locked into getting a D44? There are alternatives

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you locked into getting a D44? There are alternatives
i am not locked into getting a dana 44 i just have been reading that those seem to be the best option for it since they say it’s a direct bolt up but i am open to ideas

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Well that opens things way up. What year and model Jeep are you looking to put an axle in? What gear ratio and differential (open, limited slip, or locked) are you wanting, and where are you located? That should help us help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that opens things way up. What year and model Jeep are you looking to put an axle in? What gear ratio and differential (open, limited slip, or locked) are you wanting, and where are you located? That should help us help you.
i am on dallas texas i am using a vpn witch is why it says i am in brazil but i have a 99 cherokee limited with abs and i would like to keep the abs if possible and i guess a open differential since i would be putting a locker in it

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
A Chrysler 8.25 29 spline would be perfect for you and probably what your jeep had from the factory if it didn't have a Dana 35. The 8.25 is pretty much the same strength as a D44 anyhow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Chrysler 8.25 29 spline would be perfect for you and probably what your jeep had from the factory if it didn't have a Dana 35. The 8.25 is pretty much the same strength as a D44 anyhow.
i was reading that there isn’t a lot of aftermarket support like lockers etc for the 8.25

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure where you read that, but I believe your source(s) are wrong. I have a Spartan in mine right now, and they make Lokka, LockRite, Aussie and other lockers for them. Plenty of companies have gears and Yukon Gear and Axle sells rebuild kits. I worked at a company that is the largest retailer of Randy's Ring and Pinion products in the nation and was pretty intimate with the number of products that fit the Chrysler 8.25 at one point in time.
(I should clarify that Randy's Ring and Pinion owns Yukon Gear and Spartan lockers.).

The only thing I am not 100% sure on is the ABS on those axles. I don't have it on mine. I know D35s had abs, and I think some Chry8.25 did. Other members like 4.3l can probably clarify on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I'm not sure where you read that, but I believe your source(s) are wrong. I have a Spartan in mine right now, and they make Lokka, LockRite, Aussie and other lockers for them. Plenty of companies have gears and Yukon Gear and Axle sells rebuild kits. I worked at a company that is the largest retailer of Randy's Ring and Pinion products in the nation and was pretty intimate with the number of products that fit the Chrysler 8.25 at one point in time.
(I should clarify that Randy's Ring and Pinion owns Yukon Gear and Spartan lockers.).

The only thing I am not 100% sure on is the ABS on those axles. I don't have it on mine. I know D35s had abs, and I think some Chry8.25 did. Other members like 4.3l can probably clarify on that.
it doesn’t have to have abs but i would like to over build it like overkill with this xj i would also prefer disk brakes

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Disc brake conversions can be done either by buying a kit or piecing one together from a liberty or other vehicle, there are writeups on it.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
You are right about aftermarket support. D44 has more than even the Dana 60. But there are lockers available for the 8.25

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have an 8.8 under my Jeep tons of support for it. Has disk brakes I've used 8.8s on 2 of my builds. What tire size are you planning on running?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
probably 33s or 35s
If that is all the tire you are going for, the 29 spline 8.25 is plenty of axle for you, and it is a bolt in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts